Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: New York, New York..........

  1. #1
    Duckmeister teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    8,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    New York, New York..........

    My daughter has just returned from a week in New york on a Uni trip. It was a revelation. She found everyone she met clean and tidy, friendly and helpful. She liked the fact that there were police on every street corner, unlike England were they are very hard to find. It made her feel safe. She enjoyed the food finding it to her taste and relatively inexpensive. We always follow the rule when abroad that if you eat where the locals eat you will get good inexpensive food. Her and her friends found a strange, almost ghostly presence around Ground Zero, as if the spirits of those murdered were still there.
    The question is has the tragic murder of all those people on the 9th of September caused a change in the population, bringing them closer together, rather like that which happened in London after the blitz bombings of the war, and strengthening their national pride irrespective of colour race or religion. Is New York now a safer friendlier place than it was before. I would be interested in members opinions on this and other countries experiences following disasters of any kind.

    teddy

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Prairie, suburbs of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Glad to hear that!

    Quote Originally Posted by teddy View Post
    My daughter has just returned from a week in New york on a Uni trip. It was a revelation. She found everyone she met clean and tidy, friendly and helpful. She liked the fact that there were police on every street corner, unlike England were they are very hard to find. It made her feel safe. She enjoyed the food finding it to her taste and relatively inexpensive. We always follow the rule when abroad that if you eat where the locals eat you will get good inexpensive food. Her and her friends found a strange, almost ghostly presence around Ground Zero, as if the spirits of those murdered were still there.
    The question is has the tragic murder of all those people on the 9th of September caused a change in the population, bringing them closer together, rather like that which happened in London after the blitz bombings of the war, and strengthening their national pride irrespective of colour race or religion. Is New York now a safer friendlier place than it was before. I would be interested in members opinions on this and other countries experiences following disasters of any kind.

    teddy
    The last time I went was in 1980! Long time ago! Things weren't so good. People were nice indeed but the food! The food! and the city was a bit dirty...Good change!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjQuDXThoPo&feature=fvst

    Martin

  3. #3
    Spectral Warrior con passion White Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Teddy, I'm so glad that your daughter had a good time and has safely returned home.
    From what I have observed post 9-11-01, the good feelings and sense of togetherness was a shortlived phenomenon indeed. I think that by now most of us are back to the individual "rat race" of individual pursuits and providing for our families. I don't mean that there is any increased cruelty or extra nastiness, but basically things have returned to pretty much the way they have always been in New York, as in any other large American city.
    I think that the absence of a national military draft has most people not even realizing that many in this country--and quite a few New Yorkers--are serving in the Armed Forces and fighting in at least 2 wars--with maybe a third one on the horizon.
    IMHO.
    Whatever floats your boat May your reach always exceed your grasp

  4. #4
    Duckmeister teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    8,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear things have slipped back Steve. There must have been a wonderful atmosphere of togetherness before. Is the position of so many police around normal. Has it always been like that? It must surely have reduced petty crime and anti social behavour, which is a big problem here.

    teddy

  5. #5
    Spectral Warrior con passion White Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy View Post
    Sorry to hear things have slipped back Steve. There must have been a wonderful atmosphere of togetherness before. Is the position of so many police around normal. Has it always been like that? It must surely have reduced petty crime and anti social behavour, which is a big problem here.

    teddy
    No, Teddy it wasn't always like that. But keep in mind that the police presence your daughter noted was probably concentrated in midtown Manhattan and near the site of the terrorists attacks in downtown Manhattan. The outer boroughs--Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens--where most of the working paisans live are not the beneficiaries of such 24/7 protection as seems to be afforded the richer denizens and precints of Manhattan--where Emperor Bloomberg just happens to reside as well.
    Whatever floats your boat May your reach always exceed your grasp

  6. #6
    Duckmeister teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    8,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a shame Steve. We had a similar situation under the last government where Blair had all the traffic in London stooped so he could sweep past the peasants in his motorcade. Previous Prime Ministers were quite happy to wander around and even sit on the beach with their families. Some of these politicians have their heads too far up their a$%&%.

    teddy

  7. #7
    Spectral Warrior con passion White Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy View Post
    Thats a shame Steve. We had a similar situation under the last government where Blair had all the traffic in London stooped so he could sweep past the peasants in his motorcade. Previous Prime Ministers were quite happy to wander around and even sit on the beach with their families. Some of these politicians have their heads too far up their a$%&%.

    teddy
    You have nailed it perfectly, Teddy. This man is so arrogant and patronizing that at times it beggars adequate description.
    Whatever floats your boat May your reach always exceed your grasp

  8. #8
    Rear Admiral Appassionata
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    north tyneside
    Posts
    1,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi teddy'
    I'm sad that you have forgotten how to spell the common usage synonym for anus

  9. #9
    Duckmeister teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    8,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry John. I was in fear of the MODS. Next time I will spell it &$$£%**&

    teddy

  10. #10
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    7,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    What? You still fear us?

    Well, if something gets too raunchy, the 'censor' will automatically kick in and replace nasties with ***.
    Kh ~~.
    Administrator


    Amateur musicians practice until they get it right ...
    Pro
    fessional musicians practice until they can't get it wrong ...


  11. #11
    Rear Admiral Appassionata
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    north tyneside
    Posts
    1,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've just tried this thread and the language appalls me.
    That *** seems to be particularly unpleasant

    John

  12. #12
    Duckmeister teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    8,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats because we are a bunch of %$££&**&%*

    t$&&*

  13. #13
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    7,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDUDE View Post
    I've just tried this thread and the language appalls me.
    That *** seems to be particularly unpleasant

    John
    Open to suggestions as to what would be a better acceptable character.
    Kh ~~.
    Administrator


    Amateur musicians practice until they get it right ...
    Pro
    fessional musicians practice until they can't get it wrong ...


  14. #14
    Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler Corno Dolce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    10,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some Egyptian Hieroglyphics can be used instead, eh Krummhorn?
    *If a man wants God to hear his prayer quickly, then before he prays for anything else, even his own soul, when he stands and stretches out his hands towards God, he must pray with all his heart for his enemies. Through this action God will hear everything that he asks* -Abba Zeno-

    *Protagoras: "Truth is subjective. What is true for you, and what is true for me, is true for me. Your opinion is true by virtue of its being your opinion."

    *Socrates: "My opinion is: Truth is absolute, not opinion, and that you are in absolute error. Since this is my opinion, then according to your philosophy you must grant that it is true."

    "Improvisational Art": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSxVO3EoCRM

  15. #15
    Duckmeister teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    8,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    No no CD. You might be accused of graffiti

    teddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USS New York
    By greatcyber in forum Open Debate Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug-01-2008, 20:11
  2. Hello from Slovakia to York
    By philcan in forum [New Members] Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar-10-2008, 14:05
  3. new member from new york!!
    By chrisnelson in forum [New Members] Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct-16-2006, 04:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •