Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Adieu mon frère

  1. #16
    Apprentice, Piano
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I like some works but not all of the following:
    James Mac Millan, Meridith Monk, John Cage, Steve Martland, Toby Twinning, Arvo Part, Gareth Farr, Robert Aldridge, Aaron Copland, John Psathas, Thelonious Monk, John Taverner, Alfred Schnittke along with some I can’t remember, also at concerts I have heard premier works from various composers which were quite forgetable. At the moment I am listening to Schnittke’s Concerto for mixed chorus,


    I assume this will tell you something about my musical taste, btw what instrument do you play?

    I forgot to mention that tonight I will be hosting a music evening and will present the Violin Concert in two movements by Edgar Mayer (a fantastic Bassist) performed by Hillary Hahn, I can guarantee it will go down quite well along with 'among other works' Elgar's Cello Concerto, LSO, du Pre the 65 recording.
    You have a wide musical taste. But am I right in thinking you avoid the 'avant garde'?

  2. #17
    Chief assistant to the assistant chief JHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nu Zeln
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Moore View Post
    You have a wide musical taste. But am I right in thinking you avoid the 'avant garde'?
    As the jazz man said "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"
    Most AG music lacks the basics that make music enjoyable to me and a lot of concert goers, I really can't say much more! and what is your instrument?
    I don’t want a signature any more

  3. #18
    Apprentice, Piano
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    As the jazz man said "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"
    Most AG music lacks the basics that make music enjoyable to me and a lot of concert goers, I really can't say much more! and what is your instrument?
    As a child, I learnt to play the tuba and the piano. But as an adult, I play a little bit of many instruments.

  4. #19
    Apprentice, Piano
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously to me avant garde has got "swing". I certainly don't see much difference between J Coltrane and some avant garde music.

  5. #20
    Chief assistant to the assistant chief JHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nu Zeln
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Lets get back to AG music.
    Do you mean ‘Avant-Garde Music’ as music that does not follow traditional methods if so in that respect you are partially right I don‘t listen to it twice, melody, rhythm, harmony and above all patterns have been the mainstay of western classical for a long time if these are present and recognisable in new music without needing a degree in composition most people will listen, if the music lacks this then you fight an uphill battle. You are right with Coltrane, I can take or leave him ... mostly leave.
    I don’t want a signature any more

  6. #21
    Civilian
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Technically very well thought out, scored, and performed superbly. I can't fault it from that perspective at all. I can't say that it moved me however, but as a technical piece - a worthy listen. My normal writing/listening is early music, but I also enjoy more contemporary work as well. Thanks very much for sharing this work!

  7. #22
    Apprentice, Piano
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newport View Post
    Technically very well thought out, scored, and performed superbly. I can't fault it from that perspective at all. I can't say that it moved me however, but as a technical piece - a worthy listen. My normal writing/listening is early music, but I also enjoy more contemporary work as well. Thanks very much for sharing this work!
    Thank you for your comments.

    A direct emotional response is the prerequisite of a first time listener - instant appeal is essential. It is the curse of modern music that it is difficult to get people to listen to it more than once.
    Last edited by Ian Moore; Apr-13-2017 at 11:26.

  8. #23
    Chief assistant to the assistant chief JHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nu Zeln
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Moore View Post
    Thank you for your comments.

    A direct emotional response is the prerequisite of a first time listener - instant appeal is essential. It is the curse of modern music that it is difficult to get people to listen to it more than once.
    Instant appeal? No I do not agree with that but there must be something in a composition somewhere that appeals and that applies to all music, art, literature in fact every thing that I can think of.
    A curse of modern music? Yes it sure is at least 90% of the time to 90% of the people this tells me something has been lost either in direction or the basics.
    I don’t want a signature any more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •