Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Easter Voluntary

  1. #1
    Captain of Water Music JONESEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Easter Voluntary

    Looking for inspiration - what are my colleagues here on the forum playing for a Voluntary on Easter Day?
    I'm drawing a blank so far - nothing in my normal Easter book is jumping out, so once again I turn to you all.
    Preferably something that is available in the public forum, and something that won't kill me learning it :-)

    Thanks!
    ---
    Twitter: Jonesey789
    http://jonesey73.wordpress.com/

  2. #2
    Vice Admiral Virtuoso wljmrbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Taylors, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    3,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was regularly playing I always used selections from the Messiah ( as many are suitable for prelude, or services areas ) Most of the time used the "Hallelujah Chorus" as postlude ( always enjoyed hearing members from congregation singing along and many stayed an sing/listened until finished ) then go to a toccata of some sort to finish up.
    ....To play only what is written is the domain of science. To realize what is not written is the domain of art."
    - Jean Langlais

    I wish you the Best for each day, now and always.

    Bill

  3. #3
    Captain of Water Music
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    376
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JONESEY View Post
    Looking for inspiration - what are my colleagues here on the forum playing for a Voluntary on Easter Day?
    I'm drawing a blank so far - nothing in my normal Easter book is jumping out, so once again I turn to you all.
    Preferably something that is available in the public forum, and something that won't kill me learning it :-)

    Thanks!
    Hi Jonesey,

    Not free, but have a look at the Oxford book of 'Lent and Easter Organ Music' (ISBN 978-0-19-338623-5) which includes Healey Willan's 'Chorale Prelude on a melody by Melchior Vulpius'.

  4. #4
    Captain of Water Music pcnd5584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JONESEY View Post
    Looking for inspiration - what are my colleagues here on the forum playing for a Voluntary on Easter Day?
    I'm drawing a blank so far - nothing in my normal Easter book is jumping out, so once again I turn to you all.
    Preferably something that is available in the public forum, and something that won't kill me learning it :-)

    Thanks!
    Could you give a more precise idea of difficulty level, please? Otherwise we could be talking round the houses, here.

    Personally speaking, I steer clear of Messiah (I happen not to like it). There is plenty of organ repertoire which is suitable. However, before suggesting something, it would beb helpful to get an idea of an approximate standard you would like - and roughly how much time you have available, in order to practise.

    Pierre Cochereau rocked, man.

  5. #5
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    7,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have done the Toccata from Sym No5 (Widor) for many years as the opening voluntary on Easter.

    There are other organ works by Paul Manz that are easily learned and will be enjoyed by most people.
    Kh ~~.
    Administrator


    Amateur musicians practice until they get it right ...
    Pro
    fessional musicians practice until they can't get it wrong ...


  6. #6
    Captain of Water Music
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    376
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know, music by Paul Manz is not available in UK; it has to be ordered from US (I have his 'Aria' on order at present) and shipping is not exactly speedy.

  7. #7
    Commander, Assistant Conductor Albert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mountains, Canada
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcnd5584 View Post
    Could you give a more precise idea of difficulty level, please? Otherwise we could be talking round the houses, here.

    Personally speaking, I steer clear of Messiah (I happen not to like it). There is plenty of organ repertoire which is suitable. However, before suggesting something, it would beb helpful to get an idea of an approximate standard you would like - and roughly how much time you have available, in order to practise.

    It is moderate in difficulty. Even I can play it. It is a catchy tune, and well written.

  8. #8
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    7,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikam View Post
    As far as I know, music by Paul Manz is not available in UK; it has to be ordered from US (I have his 'Aria' on order at present) and shipping is not exactly speedy.
    Bummers indeed ...

    I encountered much the same when seeking out the Organ Score for Messiah (Hutton/Robinson version) and had to order it from the UK - took about 7 weeks to arrive.

    There is free (public domain) music by Peter Lutkin ... one is a collection for seasonal use. The selection for Easter is an interesting piece with key changes and a fuge at the end.

    There is another by Alec Rowley in this collection .. it's the last one, #5.

  9. #9
    Captain of Water Music pcnd5584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    It is moderate in difficulty. Even I can play it. It is a catchy tune, and well written.
    No - I was referring to the approximate level of difficulty which the board member 'Jonesey' would consider for a voluntary.

    I should have thought that this was fairly clear from my previous post....
    Last edited by pcnd5584; Mar-15-2015 at 00:11.
    Pierre Cochereau rocked, man.

  10. #10
    Commander, Assistant Conductor Albert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rocky Mountains, Canada
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcnd5584 View Post
    No - I was referring to the approximate level of difficulty which the board member 'Jonesey' would consider for a voluntary.

    I should have thought that this was fairly clear from my previous post....
    Now that I read it while I am awake, it was. Sorry.

  11. #11
    Lieutenant Commander, Concertmaster FinnViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend this collection:

    http://www.kevinmayhew.com/organ-wor...l#.VQdMjOHi_XY

    Festive uplifting music there. Believe me - I played and recorded them to the cd

    Some of the pieces are also on Youtube.
    Marko Hakanpää, organist of St. Michael's Church, Turku, Finland.
    www.hakanpaa.net

  12. #12
    Seaman, Mezzoforte
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    An organ arrangement of The Great Gate of Kiev from Pictures at an Exhibition. One of our parishioners is a fan of Musorgsky and requested the Great Gate after hearing me play Promenade a few weeks ago. It suits the organ well, and has a feel of triumph after struggle.

    Best wishes,
    Padster

Similar Threads

  1. Trumpet Voluntary in D
    By musicalis in forum Pipe Organ Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct-28-2013, 05:03
  2. Purcell Voluntary in G Z720
    By Dorsetmike in forum Pipe Organ Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May-04-2013, 05:22
  3. Boyce Voluntary in G
    By Ghekorg7 (Ret) in forum Electronic/Digital Organs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug-23-2010, 01:45
  4. Easter Voluntary
    By JONESEY in forum Pipe Organ Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb-03-2010, 22:23
  5. Christmas Voluntary
    By JONESEY in forum Pipe Organ Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov-13-2009, 16:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •