Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 124

Thread: Tchaikovsky's heterosexuality

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Prairie, suburbs of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile OK

    Quote Originally Posted by white knight View Post
    Hi Martin. I hope you and yours had a good holiday. Why don't you try and ease up a little? We are all friends here, even when we might disagree on something; after all, music--any genre--by its very nature is a very subjective and personal experience, albeit a shared one. Regarding your last question/observation, people are people regardless of their sexual orientation, religion, economic class etc. etc. There are good and evil people in all groups. The way I was brought up, one judges a person on his or her values and the way they treat--or mistreat--their fellow human beings. In other words, values and ethics. And as far as music is concerned, one's particular sexual orientation or proclivity has --or should have -- zilch to do with whether their music is "good"-- again, highly subjective/personal--or not. Peace and out--Steve
    ============================================
    I am not worried...nor angry...I don't mind....What people say it doesn't change my mind. The same way...what I say doesn't change anybody's mind...I'm not worried at all about the sexual orientation of a composer nor his economical situation... I think I don't like people degrading other people...this includes composers...
    Britten was not just gay but "they say" molested children...that's bad. I don't like him as a composer very much anyhow...Just his last opera: Death in Venice about a young boy being almost molested buy an older man...Consider that Thomas Mann and Britten were both gay...


    Martin, joyful but not gay

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alban Berg View Post
    ============================================
    I am not worried...nor angry...I don't mind....What people say it doesn't change my mind. The same way...what I say doesn't change anybody's mind...I'm not worried at all about the sexual orientation of a composer nor his economical situation... I think I don't like people degrading other people...this includes composers...
    Britten was not just gay but "they say" molested children...that's bad. I don't like him as a composer very much anyhow...Just his last opera: Death in Venice about a young boy being almost molested buy an older man...Consider that Thomas Mann and Britten were both gay...


    Martin, joyful but not gay
    Mr. Berg, this is not an argument; it is a breathless . . . farrago . . . of self-referential . . . specious . . . clap-trap.

  3. #93
    Chief assistant to the assistant chief JHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nu Zeln
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by c.demontesquiou View Post
    Mr. Berg, this is not an argument; it is a breathless . . . farrago . . . of self-referential . . . specious . . . clap-trap.
    You'll get used to it
    I don’t want a signature any more

  4. #94
    Admiral of Fugues Contratrombone64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alban Berg View Post

    Britten was not just gay but "they say" molested children...that's bad.

    Martin, joyful but not gay
    Ok, that's a comment I can't resist: and you know this for a fact because? (please state your source).

    As to the reference to men and boys, Death in Venice wasn't the only Britten opera with implied tension ... Peter Grimes, too.
    I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God.
    —Albert Einstein.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Prairie, suburbs of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Contratrombone64 View Post
    Ok, that's a comment I can't resist: and you know this for a fact because? (please state your source).

    As to the reference to men and boys, Death in Venice wasn't the only Britten opera with implied tension ... Peter Grimes, too.
    =====
    ==============================
    You can tell us why..I don't remember the story...Tension?

    Martin

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Prairie, suburbs of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by J.H.C. View Post
    You'll get used to it
    Thank you very much to both of you...I love when I make a comment and somebody turns it as a personal attack...


    What did I do to you?

    Martin

  7. #97
    Chief assistant to the assistant chief JHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nu Zeln
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alban Berg View Post
    Thank you very much to both of you...I love when I make a comment and somebody turns it as a personal attack...


    What did I do to you?

    Martin
    Actually I was quoting to c.demontesquiou, it was not meant as a personal attack I am sorry if it appeared that way, it is just that you have an odd way with words on your posts, I found it hard to understand what you were getting at but now I am getting used to it and you Colin happy
    I don’t want a signature any more

  8. #98
    Admiral of Fugues Contratrombone64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a personal attack at all, but if someone's going to make empirical statements fine, but if they are suggesting fact, they'd better be able to back it up.

    If the kitchen's too hot, take yourself out of it for a while, worked for me beautifully, now I completely ignore a certain namless dolt's postings and they fail to worry me at all!
    I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God.
    —Albert Einstein.

  9. #99
    Duckmeister teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    8,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh CT64! Are there any dolts here. Trolls maybe..........

    teddy

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Prairie, suburbs of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Problems of language

    Quote Originally Posted by J.H.C. View Post
    Actually I was quoting to c.demontesquiou, it was not meant as a personal attack I am sorry if it appeared that way, it is just that you have an odd way with words on your posts, I found it hard to understand what you were getting at but now I am getting used to it and you Colin happy
    =====================================
    As you may know, I'm doing my best, English is not at all my mother tongue. I think that it is important to be more tolerant...Nor Montesquieu, nor Montesquiou are against tolerance. "You're getting used to my weird English" sounds not very nice to me either...You are not the easiest guy I have ever met and I'm trying to get used to it too. Just trying to speak about music here...No personal stuff...

    Martin, upset...willing to relax

  11. #101
    Rear Admiral Appassionata
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    north tyneside
    Posts
    1,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets just judge the guy on his wonderful music (thats from an avid jazz fan).
    I watched "Swan Lake" By the Siberian Ballet Group on Sunday 6th Mar. and was
    overwhelmed by his music and the Group's performance.

    Cheers John

  12. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Prairie, suburbs of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like
    and...the story of Peter Grimes?

    Please, tell me (us).

    Martin

  13. #103
    Spectral Warrior con passion White Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDUDE View Post
    Lets just judge the guy on his wonderful music (thats from an avid jazz fan).
    I watched "Swan Lake" By the Siberian Ballet Group on Sunday 6th Mar. and was
    overwhelmed by his music and the Group's performance.

    Cheers John
    Bravo, John. I fully agree that he--like any other person, musician or otherwise--should be judged by their merits and contributions and not on any other criteria such as sexual proclivity, gender or race. Hear Hear!
    Whatever floats your boat May your reach always exceed your grasp

  14. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Bravo, John. I fully agree that he--like any other person, musician or otherwise--should be judged by their merits and contributions and not on any other criteria such as sexual proclivity, gender or race. Hear Hear!
    I believe it was Monsieur D'Epinay who intoned this sentiment, in this very thread . . . four years ago -- if imbecility was painful, everyone on this forum would be in agony.

  15. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Prairie, suburbs of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by c.demontesquiou View Post
    I believe it was Monsieur D'Epinay who intoned this sentiment, in this very thread . . . four years ago -- if imbecility was painful, everyone on this forum would be in agony.
    I am not.

    Martin

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •