Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Messiaen's glory, on YouTube

  1. #1
    Admiral of Fugues Contratrombone64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Messiaen's glory, on YouTube

    For those of us who adore Messiaen ...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ug5_1UIEew

  2. #2
    Vice Admiral Virtuoso methodistgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Madisonville,Ky.42431
    Posts
    4,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will try to get this video to work. My computer is having one of it's
    stubborn spells. I know that I will like it.
    judy tooley

  3. #3
    Admiral of Fugues Contratrombone64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Judy - your computer's not being stubborn, it's a rather large file and takes a little time to load. Take notice of the size of the orchestra ... enormous!

  4. #4
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    7,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by methodistgirl View Post
    I will try to get this video to work. My computer is having one of it's stubborn spells. I know that I will like it. judy tooley
    Quote Originally Posted by Contratrombone64 View Post
    Judy - your computer's not being stubborn, it's a rather large file and takes a little time to load. Take notice of the size of the orchestra ... enormous!
    Spot on ... I've got high speed (17mbps) cable internet and it took a couple minutes to load - Youtube's bandwidth also comes into play as if they are maxing out, it will take longer too.

    Worth the wait though ... I love Messiaen works anyway, and will always take whatever time it takes to download and listen to this music.
    Kh ~~.
    Administrator


    Amateur musicians practice until they get it right ...
    Pro
    fessional musicians practice until they can't get it wrong ...


  5. #5
    Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler Corno Dolce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    10,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for sharing the Messiaen vid, CT64. It would be so cool if the Concert Hall had about a 3.5 sec. reverberation.
    *If a man wants God to hear his prayer quickly, then before he prays for anything else, even his own soul, when he stands and stretches out his hands towards God, he must pray with all his heart for his enemies. Through this action God will hear everything that he asks* -Abba Zeno-

    *Protagoras: "Truth is subjective. What is true for you, and what is true for me, is true for me. Your opinion is true by virtue of its being your opinion."

    *Socrates: "My opinion is: Truth is absolute, not opinion, and that you are in absolute error. Since this is my opinion, then according to your philosophy you must grant that it is true."

    "Improvisational Art": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSxVO3EoCRM

  6. #6
    Midshipman, Forte matsoljare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Eskilstuna, Sweden
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg9Ic4Pu-KA

    Despite the sound quality, this video is absolutely awesome. This piece really shows how ahead of his time he was with his use of electronic timbres. The first part sounds almost Tangerine Dream-like, the second like something written for a goofy / creepy setting in a video game....

    Does anyone know of any other compositions written for Ondes Martenot in groups with no other instruments, like this? I can recommend everyone to look into the works of Oskar Sala, which uses the somewhat similar but very peculiar Trautonium, and is also very fresh sounding still today.

  7. #7
    Admiral of Fugues Contratrombone64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Ondes Martenot was used in Lost in Space (as was the contrabass clarinet).

  8. #8
    Vice Admiral Virtuoso rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Contratrombone64 View Post
    For those of us who adore Messiaen ...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ug5_1UIEew
    Darn, the vid keeps stopping. I'll have to try again later.

    Quote Originally Posted by matsoljare View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg9Ic4Pu-KA

    Despite the sound quality, this video is absolutely awesome. This piece really shows how ahead of his time he was with his use of electronic timbres. The first part sounds almost Tangerine Dream-like, the second like something written for a goofy / creepy setting in a video game....

    Does anyone know of any other compositions written for Ondes Martenot in groups with no other instruments, like this? I can recommend everyone to look into the works of Oskar Sala, which uses the somewhat similar but very peculiar Trautonium, and is also very fresh sounding still today.
    That was charming! Messiaen is wonderful. Thanks matsoljare
    ''Music, I feel, should be emotional first and intellectual second.'' - Maurice Ravel
    ''The greatest education in the world is watching the masters at work.'' - Michael Jackson


  9. #9
    Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler Corno Dolce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    10,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    *If a man wants God to hear his prayer quickly, then before he prays for anything else, even his own soul, when he stands and stretches out his hands towards God, he must pray with all his heart for his enemies. Through this action God will hear everything that he asks* -Abba Zeno-

    *Protagoras: "Truth is subjective. What is true for you, and what is true for me, is true for me. Your opinion is true by virtue of its being your opinion."

    *Socrates: "My opinion is: Truth is absolute, not opinion, and that you are in absolute error. Since this is my opinion, then according to your philosophy you must grant that it is true."

    "Improvisational Art": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSxVO3EoCRM

Similar Threads

  1. Youtube musicians!!
    By FredeJyllMusic in forum Music & Web Site Reviews - Be Reviewed
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jun-21-2013, 18:31
  2. The Post a Musical YouTube Link Thread
    By JLS in forum Community Center and Chat Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May-15-2008, 06:31
  3. Second youtube video - Joy to the world
    By falcon1 in forum Music & Web Site Reviews - Be Reviewed
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jan-21-2008, 20:11
  4. First youtube video - Hark the Herald Angels Sing
    By falcon1 in forum Music & Web Site Reviews - Be Reviewed
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec-12-2007, 11:31
  5. Lili Kraus on youtube
    By otterhouse in forum Classical Music Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug-01-2007, 15:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •