PDA

View Full Version : What Is The "Greatest" Prog Rock band?

Pages : [1] 2

Frederik Magle
Jun-17-2005, 20:19
I know it's a difficult (maybe even impossible) question because there are so many great ones, but I'm still making this poll just for fun, so let's se how it turns out http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(heh... is it ProgRock, Prog Rock, or Progressive Rock? Probably should do a poll on that too http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

KBOC
Oct-16-2005, 18:54
You know, people get upset with me when I say things like this:

But isn't it true that influence in music comes from commercial success and airplay?

ApeXX
Oct-17-2005, 03:15
Although I am the only one that voted for it, I would have to say Rush. I have 1 of their albums that I listen to at work quite a bit. Some of it could be considered "heavy rock", however none of it is "metal". Perfect combination if you ask me.

Also would anyone consider Dream Theater progressive rock?

Jules
Oct-23-2005, 06:46
Genesis where great, but after Peter Gabriel left, they just wheren't the same. After that, if you really wanted to hear Genesis as you had before, you had listen to Marillion, probably the best Genesis tribute band ever...

jason
Oct-23-2005, 18:11
Based purely on personal taste, I went with Rush. Pink Floyd however, was probably the most influential Prog Rock band.

ApeXX
Oct-24-2005, 00:55
I would have to disagree with Jason. Although Pink Floyd was a very influential Progressive Rock Band, I do not think it was the most influential. I would still have to go with Rush, although I must admit that my opinion is slightly biased due to the fact that I dislike Pink Floyd, however Rush was one of my favorite bands growing up. And please don't ask why I dislike Pink Floyd, it is a very long story, and inappropriate for me to explain at work. http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cunundrumpw
Nov-25-2005, 00:43
I can't really decide between Pink Floyd, Rush, and Yes, but they all rock. That much I know.

sondance
Nov-25-2005, 10:12
I like Moody Blues and Kansas.

How about favorite blues band?

Simone
Nov-25-2005, 12:20
Pink Floyd is the Greatest if you ask me, and I love to listen to their music

Simone http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Frederik.Sjölund
Nov-28-2005, 20:01
I had to go for Pink Floyd on this one. Love their music.

Burn
Dec-19-2005, 02:23
I'll say Marillion for a change but I mean Marillion with Fish - especially my favourite album - Fugazi. To me, it's one of the best prog rock productions and I generally have weakness for Fish.
I also totally agree with mentioning Dream Theater - one of my favourite bands, as well.

MNeMoNiC
Dec-26-2005, 22:50
I think that Dream Theater is The Greatest Prog Rock band ever.

Greetzzz,

MNeMoNiC (voted other at the poll).

MNeMoNiC
Dec-26-2005, 23:00
I think that Dream Theater is progressive symphonic rock/metal. Its heavier then Rush and its also more modern... That's my opinion. And I think it’s the greatest prog rock/metal band ever.

Greetzzz,

MNeMoNiC.

Kat
Jan-28-2006, 11:39
Jethro Tull had set an important base for the next generation of prog metallers and rockers. I believe that Psychotic Waltz have a magical effect on me as a progressive band. then come Jethro Tull. And Fates Warning are excellent musicians as well. http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/guitar.gif

Jazzis
Feb-03-2006, 14:21
Just my 5 cents, but personally I hate this kind of threads - they give 0 information and the sheer notion of comparing bands (or Art in general) geeves me the creeps and alludes to a pissing contest.

They are all great! http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frederik Magle
Feb-03-2006, 14:40
- they give 0 information

However, they do give an impression of which prog rock bands/artists the members of this forum prefers and incites a discussion of prog rock in general, which was the purpose of this thread.

and the sheer notion of comparing bands (or Art in general) geeves me the creeps and alludes to a pissing contest.

Which is exactly why I started out by saying this is "just for fun". I haven't seen any sign of pissing contest in this thread. The only sign of "conflict" actually being your post http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
(though your opinion on the matter is of course very much welcome!)

I fully agree! http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jazzis
Feb-03-2006, 14:48
Frederik,

Where do you see conflict in my post http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ? Just expressing an opinion.

However I do feel very strongly about this - Art is not a matter of competition and there is truly NO WAY to compare artists. Comparison requires a set of universally accepted standards / measures by which it can be performed. Popularity is BY FAR not one of them?

Of course it is obvious anything I say is a priori IMHO

Frederik Magle
Feb-03-2006, 15:03
Frederik,

Where do you see conflict in my post http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ? Just expressing an opinion.

And I do respect your opinion, Adam. Please note that my use of the word "conflict" was meant in jest, not to be taken literally (hence the use of citation sign and the smiley http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

However I do feel very strongly about this - Art is not a matter of competition and there is truly NO WAY to compare artists. Comparison requires a set of universally accepted standards / measures by which it can be performed. Popularity is BY FAR not one of them?

I agree with your comment regarding popularity not being a good measure. And I'll give you that it would proably have been better to name the subject of this thread: "What are your favourite prog-rock bands?" instead of "What is the greatest?". The first would have been much more correct in regard to the actual topic.

But it wasn't named so. When I started this thread initially this part of the forum was pretty new, so I wanted to spark some attention and thus used a little hyperbole in the subject line. It's too late to change it now though.

In any case it's an interesting discussion you raise. How to compare (or not compare) artists and music. I think it deserves a topic on its own.

Jazzis
Feb-03-2006, 15:08
And so it does indeed - a subject many intellectuals and even some of mankind's greatest philosophers tackeld with ... http://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
To think of that ALL of them did - from Aristotle to Heidigger.

Skaidon
Feb-09-2006, 03:41
For me, Pink Floyd, it was a very tough decision as alot of the other bands listed are true monsters, especially King Crimson and Yes.

The one band that is definately dwarfed by the rest is Marillion, they just don't even compete for me, their music isn't in the same league to be honest.

Edward Hanna
Mar-14-2006, 21:49
The results so far are what I would expect. Pink Floyd has always had more acclaim from the "rock" set, but they depress me so much. Yes on the other hand always uplifts me, even when they were morose ("Gates of Delirium") so I'd rather much listen to them.

egue
Mar-22-2006, 23:14
pink floyd is a classic,it was my sleeping music when I was little and my father was a pink floyd fan..I can not give up from them:)

Progworth
Apr-07-2006, 17:44
:confused: I don't know who to vote for! They're all great!

Progworth
Apr-07-2006, 17:46
pink floyd is a classic,it was my sleeping music when I was little and my father was a pink floyd fan..I can not give up from them:)

:) Yes, they are great! but I also love Yes, King Crimson, Zappa and Genesis.

Progworth
Apr-07-2006, 17:47
And Jethro Tull and Marillion!

Stalwart
Apr-21-2006, 14:33
I would vote for Van der Graaf Generator. "Pawn Hearts" is absolute masterpiece!

But I can't see them in the list...

gnarl
Apr-23-2006, 05:51
pink floyd - experimental and successful.

chromaticism
Apr-25-2006, 17:01
I went along with Zappa. It's amazing how he blends humor with really complex music. I am originally a Yes fan but Zappa appeals more to me now because the music seems much more experimental.

erikbartley
Apr-26-2006, 00:29
Pink Floyd RULES!!! I have to say that they are probably the best progressive rock band ever and always will be.

altura
Apr-28-2006, 15:28
Also would anyone consider Dream Theater progressive rock?[/quote]

I would consider Dream theater as progressive metal...But as allways when putting a brand on music it lies in the ears of the beholder.

I would say that the 70´s versions of Genesis was the greatest progressive rockband. But there is a lot of bands that are great in there own way, like Rush, flower kings, Neal morse, yes, gentle giant, kansas...:)

Cherry
May-15-2006, 08:21
I had to go for Pink Floyd on this one. Love their music.

Same here. Nothing comes close for me. I can listen to them all day everyday, they have such a large array of music and if you have the live stuff as I do, then there's always something new to listen to.

Ronin
May-16-2006, 08:10
I love King Crimson and Floyd.
I dont know, there's even more than whats listed there, Prog has really diversified and grown over the past 20 years, its hard to know where the boundaries start and end.

But those 2 are my top 2 really.

Proto prog arse
May-24-2006, 03:16
ELP others just play at it.

Proto prog arse...

Ronin
May-24-2006, 03:34

Proto prog arse...

hehe you think so?
Others would hold a very strong argument against that opinion ;)

Proto prog arse
May-24-2006, 03:58
hehe you think so?
Others would hold a very strong argument against that opinion ;)

Yeh i hear that quite often..

Proto

Proto prog arse
May-24-2006, 04:02
I love King Crimson and Floyd.
I dont know, there's even more than whats listed there, Prog has really diversified and grown over the past 20 years, its hard to know where the boundaries start and end.

But those 2 are my top 2 really.

I'm cool with Floyd till they brought out the boring beyond belief 'WISH YOU WERE HERE'.I can only just stomach 'DARK SIDE OF THE MOON'...

CRIMSON are superb being upto & including 'LIZARD' rest of it afterwards sucks.

Proto...

JLS
Jun-12-2006, 10:04
I'm not sure if TOOL is considered Prog Rock, but if they are, then I must say I've never heard any other Prog Rock that comes remotely close. IMO, their music is of much much higher quality than any other "non-classical" music I've listened to.

Tracks like Pushit, Reflection and Rosetta Stoned(among others) contain some almost classical-like elements to them. The basslines are often beautiful ostinati over which the guitar varies and develops themes, and the drum work is laced with complex contrapuntal polyrythyms.

Truly beautiful music.

P.S. If you can't tell, I voted for "Other".;)

rojo
Jun-13-2006, 08:10
The results so far are what I would expect. Pink Floyd has always had more acclaim from the "rock" set, but they depress me so much. Yes on the other hand always uplifts me, even when they were morose ("Gates of Delirium") so I'd rather much listen to them.I agree; although I really like Pink Floyd`s music, it does tend to depress rather than uplift. But I still couldn`t decide between Yes, ELP, Genesis, Rush or Zappa. Zappa is really in a whole other universe...

I really like prog rock, although I`m not that familiar with Marillion, Gentle Giant nor King Crimson. Hopefully that will change soon... :)

I`ve heard good things about TOOL.

savior
Jul-12-2006, 21:07
Well iam into modern rock, acc to me System of a down, the greatest rock band for me, then come linkin park

ViolinCyndee
Jul-17-2006, 07:39
Pink Floyd! Also: Gong! Spacerock definitely is prog.. Gong is definitely my favorite spacerock band.

Cyndee

SecondBass
Aug-16-2006, 23:52
I was going to be contrary and say Twelfth Night who I actually have as many albums by but bottled out and went for Floyd. I like Floyd. I like Gabriel but hate Collins so Genesis out. Yes got ridiculous, roll on the Yeggles. Geddy Lee's voice started to annoy me. Zappa was a genius. ELP... errmmm... yep. Always liked Frippy and he married Toyah. Marillion - don't mess with the big guy.

progshark
Aug-17-2006, 01:47

Proto prog arse...

While I voted for ELP (big fan of keys in general, and Keith Emerson in particular), I really like most of the other groups on the list. Who, by the way, made up the rule that said if you like ELP, you can't like Yes; if you like Genesis, you an't like KC, etc. I would hardly dismiss the others as "just playing at it." :confused:

Maney
Aug-28-2006, 00:01
Just my 5 cents, but personally I hate this kind of threads - they give 0 information and the sheer notion of comparing bands (or Art in general) geeves me the creeps and alludes to a pissing contest.

Very true, they are all great in their own ways. If I had to pick a favourite though it would be pink floyd. Their music is dare I say it... (and I feel less manly for saying this :D ) beautiful and a pleasure to listen to :D

Magnum
Aug-28-2006, 00:11
Just personal taste so hopefully no offence to anyone. I went for Rush as the others I can take them or leave them, with Rush I always have one of the older tapes or CD's in the car.
'Show dont tell' from the album 'Presto' is my all time favourite and their official website is cool!!!!!!!!!!
Magnum

Malek
Aug-28-2006, 02:42
For me I would have to say that Tool is the best out there.They have a unique sound and there lyrics are amazing.

JLS
Sep-10-2006, 23:16
I agree. TOOL's music isn't just unique, it's the most organic I've ever heard; and at times it rivals classical in true complexity and musicality. It really is gorgeous. It's difficult for me to imagine a lover of real music getting to know TOOL and not thinking it superb.

The Emperor
Sep-12-2006, 06:24
as much as i love Genesis(p.gabriel era), pink floyd, yes and ELP i had to go with King Crimson, they are the definition of progressive.

rojo
Sep-12-2006, 07:42
I`ve just been listening to King Crimson`s 'In the Court of the Crimson King.' What a great song. :up:

Frederik.Sjölund
Sep-12-2006, 09:53
Im gonna have to vote for Pink Floyd.. alot of the other alternatives i haven't even heard of

Torsten Brandes
Sep-28-2006, 16:22
I vote for John McLaughlins "Mahavishnu Orchestra"? Or does their music belong to Jazz. (Jazz Fusion)? I remember that they even worked with the London Symphony Orchestra.

All the best,

Torsten Brandes

Museo
Sep-29-2006, 17:08
For me it has to be Pink Floyd from that list. I was not keen on "Brick in the Wall" but love "Wish you were here". Any music that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end, gets my vote.

progmetalgod
Oct-19-2006, 08:58
There are too many bands in that list and some not on it that are amazing and unique. it's almost impossible to choose. Let me just say this and this is in no particular order: Dream Theater, Rush, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Kansas, etc. all are ALL geniuses and need no comparison among each other!!! thank god for these bands!!

Babaluma
Oct-25-2006, 04:33
Camel - 1. Snow Goose - 1975 release awesome opening two songs.
Camel - 2. Moonmadness follow up even better
Camel - 3. Dust and Dreams
Camel - 4. A Live Record

other than that id have to add any Genesis including and before Lamb lies down on Broadway.

The Enid - In the region of the summer stars (awesome album)

Hawkwind - In search of space and Space Ritual...ah yes those were the days, liquid len and Stacia (phew)

Wolfmother first cd - excellent effort

the first three Van Der Graff Generator albums are good
shall I get me coat?

Babaluma
Oct-25-2006, 04:47
dare I also add a band that was big big in europe especially Denmark, France and Germany thats the UK band Ten Years After featuring alvin lee on guitar. There 1972/3 album Recorded Live must be a prog rock contender.

and dont forget Growers of Mushrooms by Leafhound

Velvetclown
Nov-19-2006, 19:20
Frank Zappa

Drake
Nov-27-2006, 20:00
Genesis, of course.

protos
Dec-09-2006, 17:36
Hi,

Undoubtedly others will comment on the choices, so let me pitch in too.

Where are Camel? Or the wonderfully inventive Gryphon? Does Supertramp not deserve a shot (on account of 'Crime of the Century' and 'Crisis? What Crisis?').

Where are the European bands that have been a hit in Japan such as England and Protos. Can you do the poll again in Japanese :)? Away from the distorting effects of the UK/US music industry the music in other countries has to stand on its own and different bands have emerged as favourites.

How can you put 'Marrillion' in that list (sorry Marrilion fans, but the result says it all) when you leave out Camel (Snowgoose is one of the top albums of all time at ProgArchives)?

There appears to be no dispute about the winner, but how much of this is on the back of the cover versions of Comfortably Numb that have popularised Pink Floyds whole catalogue again? Speaking personally, several of these bands could take the top spot (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes) but the best music is yet to be discovered.

All the best
Rory

Art Rock
Dec-15-2006, 13:59
Genesis, without a shadow of a doubt for me. From Trespass upto and including Wind & Wuthering, all their stusio albums are great, and several are absolute masterpieces.

protos
Dec-16-2006, 22:44
Genesis, without a shadow of a doubt for me. From Trespass upto and including Wind & Wuthering, all their stusio albums are great, and several are absolute masterpieces.

I agree, although I think 'And Then There Were Three' also has merit. As a teenager - we're talking 30 years ago now - I would sometimes set aside an entire day to listen to all the albums, all the way through, in chronological order. How lovely it was to have the time to do that :)

The effect was long lasting too!

All the best
Rory

protos
Jan-05-2007, 01:17
Who, I wonder, will be a "greatest" Prog Rock band of the new century. Let's set aside the bands of the 1970s/80s/90s - who is brave enough to predict the future?

I've recently been impressed with the Flower Kings. Nick May's new album has promise (but still a bit too 'programmed' for my taste). People say nice things about Protos - but then I'm biased in that respect. A friend sent me a track by Asturias - I thought that was magical, wonderful composition and style.

Which bands do you think will take over the mantle and reach a mass audience again?

Rory

Art Rock
Jan-05-2007, 09:50
Porcupine Tree (although they started in the early nineties) are for me already in the top 5 of all time. They have released amazing albums this century. The Polish band Riverside is another candidate if they can show some progression in the coming albums after their first two releases.

Debbie
Feb-10-2007, 23:54
Probably because they are the two best known of the list I would choose between Rush and Marillion. Which of the two I would place first would probably be Rush based on the sheer longevity of their work.
Got to say though I seem to be the only Magnum fan around here. Hasn't anyone else heard of these guys? Surely someone must have. If they were in the list I would put them first!

jnbammer
Feb-13-2007, 06:07
Genesis was good, but Pink Floyd's creativity was amazing.

Art Rock
Feb-13-2007, 19:47
I have two Magnum albums (Chase the dragon, Kingdom of madness) - I think they are OK, but a far cry from the top in prog. IMO of course.

FKA1
Feb-27-2007, 01:59
Porcupine Tree (although they started in the early nineties) are for me already in the top 5 of all time.

Agree re: Porcupine Tree.
I see you use In Absentia as your avatar :cool:
New Cd due in late April- "Fear of a Blank Planet".
There's a medley/preview on their MySpace page.

Other noteworthy bands- Spock's Beard (before Neal Morse's
departure), The Flower Kings, Transatlantic...

Interesting that Pink Floyd is listed as Progressive rock.
The Aural Moon forum would largely disagree.
We've gotten into the "Prog/not Prog" thing ad nauseum.
Dream Theatre, definitely not.

I voted for Yes.
"Awaken" from GFTO is my favorite Progressive Rock tune of all time.
It's like sonic drugs.

P e a c e
Kirk/FKA1

King Fripp
Mar-20-2007, 22:36
1. King Crimson
2. Yes
3. Genesis

Why are not great prog bands like Camel or Gentle Giant in the pole!?

mrprog
May-28-2007, 10:19
graaf generator

Nigua
Aug-08-2007, 15:06
I just voted for fun, but really, do anyone think it could be possible a Best Prog Rock Band?
I don't!!!

doctortornface
Aug-17-2007, 01:55
Well iam into modern rock, acc to me System of a down, the greatest rock band for me, then come linkin park Good band, however this pole is on prog rock, not new metal.....:grin: I don't think I would put Zappa in prog either.... he needs his own genre.

doctortornface
Aug-17-2007, 02:26
Babaluma ,Ten Years After, great though they were, were never prog. Blues,Heavy Rock, even bits of Jazz...
Wolfmother are just ordinary rock, bland, dull rock at that..got bored by their debute album really quickly.And live oddly in places like The White Stripes.If you closed your eyes....and listen to the guitar and vocal on Dimension or Joker & The Thief it's very Jack White.

Prog for me is at it's ultimate in King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King.
It is such a wide and varied genre,that I could change my mind every few seconds as I remember more and more great bands with great albums.

Prog has Jazz,World,Folk loads of different sub generes and influences, I am glad of the resurgence.

toejamfootball
Aug-20-2007, 23:50
I like ELP a lot, I also enjoy The Moody Blues alot aswell.

superlapine
Sep-06-2007, 17:27
Pink Floyd, no doubt...:cool:
But I very like IQ (Néo-prog), and ARENA (Métal-Prog) !
I considere that Progressive Rock has no boundaries, Univers Zero, Opeth and Mike Oldfield are in the " progressive box"... but which one ?? Néo, Métal, Black, classic, symphonic, etc...:confused:
Salut !

methodistgirl
Sep-06-2007, 18:35
I'm a big fan of the moody blues. One of their songs were my and my
late husband's love song. "You're wildest dreams" I just love!
Judy tooley

Slander
Sep-09-2007, 21:07
Pink Floyd, no doubt...:cool:
But I very like IQ (Néo-prog), and ARENA (Métal-Prog) !
I considere that Progressive Rock has no boundaries, Univers Zero, Opeth and Mike Oldfield are in the " progressive box"... but which one ?? Néo, Métal, Black, classic, symphonic, etc...:confused:
Salut !

IQ and Arena are great bands, both are my favorites!!!

I think that you can't say what band is THE BEST BAND... but I like very much RAGE, RING OF FIRE, ROYAL HUNT, QUEEN and many others.

hillelr
Oct-15-2007, 17:21
yes is my all time favorite band they are amazing
although i do like pink floyd a lot as well