Adding a "keyboard" to a computer

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Well, let me say firstly that I'm not a novice when it comes to computers BUT being someone who (until very recently) used Macs; I've now been given a wonderful Toshiba laptop with an enormous 25 inch wide LG monitor (it's gorgeous). Goodness my partner's the most wonderful person alive.

I've now ordered my upgrade to Finale 2011 and told the Aussie distributor that I've changed "platforms" and I'm assured that's all fine.

Next challenge is to hook a synthesizer up to it so I can at least do some keyboard note entry. I already own a Yamaha digital piano but I lack space for it so want to buy the smallest synthesizer that'll do the job, any ideas?

David xo

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Well, I bought a Kord USB keyboard (got this funky up and down buttons that make it virtually 8 octaves even though it's only 3). It grabs its power from the USB connectino and sucks it out of the laptop so minimal cables (thank GOD) except for the obvious USB connection.

To my amazement, I unpacked it, plugged it in and it poodled of and found it's driver software on its own and *poof* hey presto, it works!

Helps with Finale no end, which I also upgraded to 2011 and installed on my beautiful new PC - now working on an orchestration for the first time in about a year! Loving every bar of it.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey David,

How's your new keyboard working out for you? What model did you buy exactly?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Mat - I bought a three octave Korg (silent) keyboard. When connected, it obviously plays through my laptop's attached Bose speakers. Look, it's fine, the keys are a little miniature (by design) but for the purposes of speeding up the drudgery of music entry, perfect.