• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Hauptwerk 4 is up !

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret)

Hi to all.

Tuesday 19 of April, Hauptwerk version 4.0.0 is ready and out !
Download links are just two and there's a helluva traffic there.....
Still cannot finnish mine.... Starts and stops ..... Installer is about 2.1GB long

But I got the release and features pdfs and from what I read this is a milestone version.

A totaly new St.Anne is included, 3GB with all modern features !
Onboard Midi recorder / player and workin' without any midi interface : just the computer ,HW4 and the midi files.
Improved HW1 import, now all those older but beautiful organ sets can have HW4 features ! Of course this will need re-import of them.
Midi learn at last !!! just a right click and you're done. Also Midi output not only in andvanced but in every version.
Real time reverb output and advanced VST/AU links.

Transision from 3 to 4 is smooth as HW site and pdfs declare, we will see all this in action.

Ah, There's the free version too, for us who used it in v.3.30, with some more extras than before.

All these and more. I remains to taste them when...... download ends !
I'll report back, as soon as I got the first sounds of St.Anne heard.

best
Panos

PS, hey I'm not related in anyway with Milan digital ect. This is just an info report for all HW fans.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Panos,

Thanks for the news. Do you happen to know if you have to uninstall older versions before installing HW4?

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hey Panos,

Thanks for the news. Do you happen to know if you have to uninstall older versions before installing HW4?

As far as I read the release notes pdf installation is going to be over existing installations (others have HW2studio version , 3.22 ect, advanced or basic or even free - like us -) and new HW4 will see what's going on and will install the appropriate version. Even those with the USB key connected can get a new code via mail from Milan digital.

So, for us with the free edition is easy. Just install v.4 over v.3.30 and will get what is intended for free edition - like re-importing some HW1 sets and get some HW4 features like temperament and tuning and midi out.... -

Still 5 hours to go..... unless HW site cuts again the link cause of traffic, just one link and with 20b/s when normally I get 5 links with 1.800b/s !

best
Panos

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Yeah, I don't think I will resist much longer... I'll probably download it as soon as the traffic reduces. I'm especially tempted by this MIDI learn feature you mentioned. And the refreshed [?] st. Anne.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Thanks Pete !

Still I'm stuck with download, I got 480MB so far from 2.17GB total. This time at night here, is day/afternoon in USA, so the traffic is horrible. Cannot get access...
I'll try tomorow when it's night there.... he he

Matt, the new St.Anne is a new recording ! Martin revisited Moseley and the new set (that's why new HW4 is 2.17GB) has got new stereo recording of pipes, multi loops and multi releases !! wet and surround.....
Cannot wait to get my hands on !

best
Panos

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

After 37 hours spread well into 7 days with one link and 0.1 to 53bps.... (instead of 5 and 1800 to 2200 broad band...) I finally got HW4.0.0.724 !!!!!!!! 2.17GB installer for windows.

It took me 40minutes to play the first note on St.Anne, mailny because HW4 needs to clear any previous version (HW3.30 here). All went OK, no probrlems. Exept my antimalware warned me about HW's need to install data for USB dongle.... what to do.

What beauty is this !
I played the last 24 hours with it. Too many functions to mention here, a very long post is needed. But,

For free version users and those who still want to play with their loved HW1 sets (like Roquemaure, Marienkirche, Smecno ect) but also with many other beautiful HW2 and 3 sets without combination pistons and /or couplers, HW4 has them for us !!!! for any set loaded !
Midi Learn is a dream, just right click, hit the controller we want, even computer's keys, done, and that's it !

Great recorder both audio & midi on separate window. Also Audio & midi window for easy volume control, ram consumption, CPU, everything at hand.
Great full screen option and the new GUI can load broader GUIs from some sets that in HW3 were not to be seen completely, at last I saw them all and could work with all stops ect :)

One thing is missing for HW1 sets...... they still cannot be used with different temperaments.... why? it's a shame....

The sound is wonderfull, and the whole concept is more a player's software, more friendly and easy.

St.Anne new is a totally different organ. Even has multi attack samples/releases.
Mat , if not already tried, you'll be very happy with, carefull though as it is big and with free version's 256 limit there's a tail sudden cut on full stop ect.

Now the HARD part. hmmmmm

That one needs a lot of work.
Milan Digital did a totaly new design on VSTi version, sending sys ex VST link. Luckily REAPER supports such a thing and the manual has long tutorials on how we can make it work, also with Cubase, Sonar and Cakewalk. (Thanks guys !)

I'll treat this issue later in deep, but as far as today, I found it very tricky. Is totaly different from what we knew so far, actually we cannot see a HW4 VSTi inside Reaper, they work in parallel, and virtual (or hardware>>>) midi cables are needed.

Maybe this is a better way, will see. Real time reverb can be applied this way and full support for multi audio (16 stereo audio ch in Reaper....) but I'm curious if I can work with HW and EWQL symphonic Orch the way I did with HW3.

One thing that is definately not possible, is to open a Reaper project with HW in and the set opened on the spot along with Lexicon and other instruments. Manual load of the set is needed now and outside Reaper..... hmmmm

It was nice before , as I used to have a desktop icon of a Reaper project, containing a HW organ with Lexicon, or SIR2 and by just double clicking I got my organ set in my hands in just seconds in my prefered environment and ready to record if needed.

This given, I'll keep my Free version of HW3.30 as VSTi on my second laptop as I got many many projects with this setup and I do not want my work to be wasted, even for the best VPO program today (HW4).

Thank God I got 2 laps and I do not break also the lisence, as these are two different HW versions.

Overall a winner and the best there is.
More posts will follow, evaluation continues....

Best
Panos

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Panos,

After 37 hours spread well into 7 days with one link and 0.1 to 53bps.... (instead of 5 and 1800 to 2200 broad band...) I finally got HW4.0.0.724 !!!!!!!! 2.17GB installer for windows.

Hmm, That's strange. I downloaded HW4 for the first time on Monday, I guess. After the download had ended, I got an error, couldn't install anything and threw it out eventually. But what's important is that it only took me three hours to get it on my HDD. The second time I downloaded it, it all went OK and soon after I got it up and running. It also took me only three hours to download it, with average speed of 200kb/s (with my current ISP, my max. download speed is ~ 270kb/s).

It took me 40minutes to play the first note on St.Anne, mailny because HW4 needs to clear any previous version (HW3.30 here). All went OK, no probrlems. Exept my antimalware warned me about HW's need to install data for USB dongle.... what to do.
Actually, it has got a very neat installator that'll guide you through, step by step. What I liked the most about it was the [semi-]automatic keyboard configuration. All so easy!

Midi Learn is a dream, just right click, hit the controller we want, even computer's keys, done, and that's it !
That's the feature I've missed the most ever since I installed HW3. Now, that I upgraded, I can program my keyboard just the way I like it.

St.Anne new is a totally different organ. Even has multi attack samples/releases.
Mat , if not already tried, you'll be very happy with, carefull though as it is big and with free version's 256 limit there's a tail sudden cut on full stop ect.
I sure have tried it. Though I haven't noticed the cut off on full stop yet.

That one needs a lot of work.
Milan Digital did a totaly new design on VSTi version, sending sys ex VST link. Luckily REAPER supports such a thing and the manual has long tutorials on how we can make it work, also with Cubase, Sonar and Cakewalk. (Thanks guys !)

I'll treat this issue later in deep, but as far as today, I found it very tricky. Is totaly different from what we knew so far, actually we cannot see a HW4 VSTi inside Reaper, they work in parallel, and virtual (or hardware>>>) midi cables are needed.

Maybe this is a better way, will see. Real time reverb can be applied this way and full support for multi audio (16 stereo audio ch in Reaper....) but I'm curious if I can work with HW and EWQL symphonic Orch the way I did with HW3.

One thing that is definately not possible, is to open a Reaper project with HW in and the set opened on the spot along with Lexicon and other instruments. Manual load of the set is needed now and outside Reaper..... hmmmm
^^ I am very, VERY dissapointed with this. And also glad that you brought it up. I tried to get HW to work with REAPER to no avail. I copied the HW's .dll file into REAPER folder (just as it was with HW3) but still couldn't get it to work. Now I know why. You are frightening me with those virtual MIDI cables... How do I get my head round it? A step-by-step tutorial perhaps?

It was nice before , as I used to have a desktop icon of a Reaper project, containing a HW organ with Lexicon, or SIR2 and by just double clicking I got my organ set in my hands in just seconds in my prefered environment and ready to record if needed.
I used to do the same with this shortcut icon, hehe. A bit lazy, aren't we?

I don't know if you remember but when I first got the Enigma set it turned out that my PC was not good enough to run it smoothly. I had to upgrade, which I finally did. I now got 4GB of RAM, a new CPU and motherboard. And now it wokrs without glitches. Unfortunately, after the upgrade, I had to reinstall Windows, which resulted in losing all my program files, including SIR2... That's a shame as I really needed this reverb.

Anyway, I should get back to HW4. So many features I have to discover yet.

Cheers

ggoode.sa

Hi Guys,

You don't need the virtual MIDI cables to run HW4 VSTi linked from Reaper... you need to configure the HW4 MIDI input to the VSTi input, then configure your VSTi host with your MIDI keyboards, and Viola! HW plays what you play in Reaper.

In regard to Reaper finding the VSTi link dll, don't copy the dll, add the folder to the VST search option and reload the VST search after clearing the cache... I did that, tested a simple 'just with HW4' in Reaper, got that working successfully (yes, set the audio in HW4 to VSTi, and the MIDI to VSTi), then after the test I loaded a saved session (that also used PLAY with some choirs) and that work first time without changing anything in Reaper.

This is a mindshift that needs to take place for using HW4 - what I suggest is
1) Run HW4, set audio and midi to the VSTi options, load your organ
2) Run Reaper
3) Load a VSTi track, selecting the HW4 VSTi linker
4) Set your MIDI options for the Track,
5) Play some notes

Then if it is not working let us help troubleshoot....

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi Guys,

You don't need the virtual MIDI cables to run HW4 VSTi linked from Reaper... you need to configure the HW4 MIDI input to the VSTi input, then configure your VSTi host with your MIDI keyboards, and Viola! HW plays what you play in Reaper.

In regard to Reaper finding the VSTi link dll, don't copy the dll, add the folder to the VST search option and reload the VST search after clearing the cache... I did that, tested a simple 'just with HW4' in Reaper, got that working successfully (yes, set the audio in HW4 to VSTi, and the MIDI to VSTi), then after the test I loaded a saved session (that also used PLAY with some choirs) and that work first time without changing anything in Reaper.

This is a mindshift that needs to take place for using HW4 - what I suggest is
1) Run HW4, set audio and midi to the VSTi options, load your organ
2) Run Reaper
3) Load a VSTi track, selecting the HW4 VSTi linker
4) Set your MIDI options for the Track,
5) Play some notes

Then if it is not working let us help troubleshoot....

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Thanks Graham !:)

I'll try it out.

Also as I posted, HW manual has a very good tutorial on how to configure new VSTi Link with Reaper, and also to get real time reverb.
As I read needs many steps.....
But nothing we couldn't work out.

The most missing things is that also Mat said, no automatic load of everything with just a click on a Reaper project....:(

Test go on

Have fun
Panos

BachOrganAmateur

Disappointed with new St Anne's

I use the free St Anne's organ in HW to make my digital organ sound better. I regret downloading HW4. The resampled St Anne's organ sounds like a 1980s digital organ. The voices are 'cleaner' sounding, but the decay (or whatever you call it) after releasing a note, is removed. Is there any way to bring that decay sound back, through HW controls, or am I out of luck? I'm not referring to "reverb," I'm talking about the abrupt drop-off sound characteristic heard in the earlier St Anne's.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi Bach Organ Amateur !
If it is recorded this way , then there's no way to get release samples (not the reverb).
But, there are so many great sets out there why to stick with St.Anne's ???!!!

For example, Haverhill Binns (demo full working) is far better as an English organ example and studio Willis 12 (free).
Try new Zwolle Schnitger (demo full working) or the faboulous new Smecno full original reconstructed version (free-Demo) with 13 super stops !!!
to name a few.
If you are as your name suggests, then these last two are great for Bach !! Why English ?

And another two great sets, full and free, for baroque music and not only : Burea Church 3m/p and Romansvillier 2m/p.

Best
Panos

BachOrganAmateur

Reply to Panos

Thanks for your suggestions, Panos. I will try those out. It will have to be something free. Although I do play mostly Bach, I don't care if the organ is baroque. My main concern is how "pipey" the sound samples are. Most sampled organs don't sound very realistic, and I think it's because they are recorded too far away from the pipes to capture enough air and chiff sounds. I have read that Sonus Paradisi and OrganART Media take closer samples than Milan and the others.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi again BOA !

OK I get now what you need. Indeed , as I too play Bach, Bux, Pachelbel, Bohm, Couperin, Dandrieu, Rameau ect , the sets from Jiri (Sonus P) and Dr Maier (OrganArt) are the most realistic if not just like a real pipe organ sounds. Now depending on the set you can get the position of hearing, aka from the console or from the audience. Possibly the best of them all IMHO....

My main sets here are :
Smecno 1587 new version (HW3) which is a free demo FULL WORKING set. Great sound..... Please try it out and play some of your favourite Bach 1m/p pieces !
St.Maximine new version (HW3) Positiv only (with pedal coupler) as free demo. Beautiful...
Velesovo 2m/p demo, works great for choral and some other works (get it now !!!)
Schnitger 17c from Zwolle new version free demo. Can be arranged from a 4manual/p that is into a great 2m/p. Ideal for Bux... Spatial environment.
All the above are from Jiri, who made us some great gifts (all are free and work in full, but with less stops than the straight commercials) and as far as I know from him we can play with them as long as we like !! If you're a good player, sent some of your recordings to Sonus. They will be very happy about - I'm not related to any way with Sonus !

The set I really love is the old HW1 Roquemaure freres Jullien 1690 2m/p organ set (extended version) from Dr.Maier. BEAUTY !
Is not free though, and expensive for a HW1 set. :-( I got it as a gift from a friend organist in Germany. Lucky me.....

Next and very very good for Bach is the latest Burea Church set for HW3. Free as a bird. Lars took the samples (hard work....) and along with GrahamG released a 1st class set for us to enjoy. 3m/p and any kinda stop you need for Bach. Sounds beautiful and with HW4's (free ed) advanced features, we can stick with it for a long time :)

If you ever go to actually buy something, the best choice for Bach and considering what is offered on what price is the older (and great !) Grosshartmannsdorf G.Silbermann 1741 organ set from PipeLoops. Works with free edition of HW even if it's encrypted. Friberg Cathedral (Jiri again....) is the top one but very very very expencive and needs HW adavnced full version (Dongle key) to be played OK.

Last, my very humble contribution to Grand Master's works is my own German Baroque Organ (GBO) for jOrgan. See the relative thread here. The one you'll find in my site is the older one , but still the main version. I'm working on it on a Mk.II version, better, with some reeds added and most important Asio driver compatability for zero latency.
Try it out if you like, not HW yes, but jOrgan (mystic power.....) and FREE for all, under GNU v3.

List can go on for days, so I stop here and we can talk again after you try something of the above and give food for more discussion !!!! :-D

Best
Panos

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Thanks Graham.

BUT, the more I play with the new one I'm convinced it's much much better. Yes. It is and I believe Martin has right when sayin' there's no need for the old one anymore. It reminds me the times when the old one replaced the older HW1 format set !.... he he.

Seriously now, the new one has features that cannot be found on HW2/3 versions. Stereo sampling and release samples, as there are also attack ones ! These make articulations more natural.

Ah, for those who want more reverb (St.Anne's church has not a lot of it anyway...) I can advice load the set with 180ms simulated dry (to just get the pipe release, not the environment ) and use the newest experimental Jack 1.9.8 for windows 32 & 64 bit OS and a convolution reverb as stand alone with Savihost.
Then we'll hear a veeery different St.Anne Moseley !! : Tested - confirmed.

IMHO, It is a very complete pipe organ set and we can play any kinda music on it !

Best to all
Panos

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi,

I was testing the midi learn function of HW4.

Hey this is quick and kinda magic, at last in a special programm like HW.
It responds to almost everything I throw to, except the numeric pad, that one on the right of our computer keyboards, either locked or not.

Anyone knows why? It's a bug?

I tested a very small setup which I believe is very quick , handy and easy to have for studying some kinda rennaissance music and more of course.

CME m-key 49note USB plug and play keyboard, Roland PK-5A 13note pedalboard (with Emu midi to USB cable), HW4 free version with Smecno (full) demo wet set.

As I don't want my lap to be in front of my keyboard to be able to read the scores, I inserted (usb) an external numeric pad and wanted the numbers from 0 to 9 and also / * - + . to control the general combination buttons on Smecno's console.

This setup works with GrandOrgue fine (set the numeric pad's shortcuts in .organ file) but doesn't work with HW4 (!!!??)

Any friend here with a clue?

Thanks and best
Panos

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi Pete,

Thanks a lot for this....
I suspected the cause and after reading Martin's post, it all confirmed.

I have to live with that and of course find another solution !!! X-15 extra keys is the probable answer, but it's not available in Greece yet, if it will be anyway, so maybe I have to order it from the States... he he

Another solution is to get that ....rubber computer keyboard I saw yesterday in a shop here. Very flexible and lightweight !

So the setup will be like this :

CME m-key for manual
Roland PK-5A (or Ketron PE9MK8....)/Emu midi/usb cable for pedals
laptop with rubber kbd or X-15 16extra keys with Asio4all/HW4free version/Smecno (full) demo set
self powered ESI speakers.

Good.

All my best
Panos