• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Pipe organ with heavy metal

methodistgirl

Does anyone know of such thing as a pipe organ played
along with a heavy metal band? I'm curious!.:)
judy jennings

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:rolleyes: ... Well, a pipe organ itself ... is ... heavy metal ... :lol: (sorry, just couldn't resist that)

Our own Frederik Magle did a performance recently with a HipHop group ... I've not yet heard it though.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret)
Les.... ROCKS !!

OK,
as I'm also a Metal fan (Opeth are the best) I know a guy who actually plays Rock, Hard Rock and Metal on a Theater organ , he also played in a band like this. His name is Les Knoll, he's about 60 years old and feels like 20 ! We're friends at jOrgan forum. He's coool !

I posted some time back a new thread (Bohemian Rhapsody on a theater organ) about (I don't remember if anyone answered...) and sent this link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEWs...ay&list=PL53A480BC02C8F6DB&index=1&playnext=1

There's a series of him in a row on the bottom, Yes' Roundabout, Smoke on the water live ! He also did some Iron Maiden stuff !

I'll contact him to know the name of the band and when....

Have serious fun !
Panos:cool:

sesquialtera

Hello

Try " Rhapsody of Fire"
There is organ, harpsichord mixed with choir and symphonic orchestra mixed with heavy metal band ...

(I think it's not a real pipe organ, but anyway, I really love this kind of music. )

Soubasse

A band I joined years ago had a couple of quite heavily-metaly tracks and quite by accident I found that these parts worked extremely well at the organ. I was actually practicing for a choral concert, remembered that it was my first band rehearsal that night and thought I'd better have a look at the charts they'd given me. Ironically, I'd been listening to the practice tape they'd made, thinking "what on earth can I add to this?" then, when I started playing at the organ I thought "okay, this really works!" Of course, I could rely on old faithful to save me! Thankfully, I had some decent organ samples on one of my synths and didn't have to take the pipes with me (fun though that would have been).

Muse have done some heavy-ish tracks with pipe organ on them.

Not sure what the interest is - maybe it's the instrument's association with things Gothic.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Thanks for sharing your story !
It would be fun takin' the pipes with you on rehearsal !!!!
Now-days would be better with so many cabinet pipe organs available (but very expensive...), so here it comes...... virtual : computer/keyboard or console (transportable like the latest NORD 2m/p organ) and go !

Gothic, yeah that's the link.
Best
Panos

smilingvox

I listened, or tried to listen to the clip Panos left us. Interesting, but I lost my patience with youtube always stopping to download more info.

This song is off of the same album The Prophet's Song is. That's a good suggestion of heavy metal. Imagine transcribing The Prophet's Song for organ (LOL), esp. that little part where that awful reverse-sounding electric guitar sound came in about midway through. LOL

Thanks, Judy.

Tom

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi Tom,
Yes both songs are from "A Night at the Opera" as is "Love of my life" one of the best Queen's songs. This is a good candidate for organ transcription. No reverse May's guitars :-D

As many times I get stuck too with YouTube, I download the video, watch it without stops and If I like it I keep it , else.... :)

Panos

Indidem

It most certainly exists: Resonaxis. Australian organist David Drury plays with this rock/metal band.