• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

organ restoration

JayDee

is thier anybody out there who can help
with ideas on the proper restoration of
a pipe organ?
thanks j.d.

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Hi JayDee, I could imagine that some of our members (which includes several organ builders amongst others) have experience with various organ restorations.

But I think you would need to provide some more details about the organ you wish to restore. For example it's current condition, size, type of action (tracker, pneumatic, etc.), location, age, builder, etc. Basically as much as you know about the instrument in question.

Kind regards
Frederik

JayDee

great! i just wasnt sure if your forum would allow this
type of question.
the organ is a 1902 hinners and albertson
2 manual 61 key
14 rank
27 pedal
mechanical action
all of the exterior wood is in great shape
with little if any altorations and will restore
beutifully. keys are all but perfect.
pipes that i have inspected seem to be fine
but no expert.my first concern is lay-out
and placement of interior parts,as i bought
the organ dismantled. need to acuire info
on how to bring the organ back to original.
the previous owner had made modifications
but didnt supply a list.
thanks j.d.

Roy Tankersley

JayDee said:
is thier anybody out there who can help
with ideas on the proper restoration of
a pipe organ?
thanks j.d.
Hi j.d.
I was in London recently and purchased an interesting publication which may be of some help.
'Historic organ conservation' A practical introduction to processes and planning. by Dominic Gwynn published by Church House Publishing ISBN 0 7151 7592 0
Cheers
Roy Tankersley
New Zealand