• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Goths and other distractions ...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
There is a wonderful company called Gothic. American (where else), and they specalise in organ CDs ... and have a huge range. I find their service fantastic and their delivery tracking system easier to use than Amazon's (go figure). Anyone else used them?

http://www.gothic-catalog.com/

No, I don't work for them, but it's nice to have an organ specific retailer a mouse click away.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Thomas

Funny you mention Widor ... I've got the van Oosten cycle, which is superb. But it seems there is little else available in the complete range. Any ideas? And, not wishing to criticise Widor in the slightest, but I prefer the Vierne symphonies slightly, as I find them more visceral and moody somehow. Widor's symphonies are not all equally good, IMHO, No. 5 stands on a rather high pedestal, but not sure if 6 is up there with it, really.

Thomas Dressler

I believe I might agree with you. I've always been enthusiastic about Widor, but I, too, find his music uneven. I have never studied Vierne much, as I spent my graduate years specializing in Bach and earlier, but I have recently begun to like Vierne--A LOT! (I do like the first and last movements of Widor's 6th a lot, too, though!)

Caddis

Hi CT
I have a Widor set by Herman van Vliet(Widoriade,Festivo).I have got the Ben van Oosten set of Vierne symponies but don't have a Ben van Oosten set of Widor symphonies(with the Rand at 9+ to the Euro those MDG Cd's are not cheap),therefore I can't make a comparison.If memory serves me correct George Baker also recorded a Widor set.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
van Oosten's playing is great ... for sure. And thanks, Thomas, I'd be interested to hear what you think of play the Vierne symphonies ... he also wrote a huge amount of free style pieces, more suited to sight-reading than his monsterous and hideously difficult syphonies ...

Thomas Dressler

CT, it's been within the last year that I've started to really like Vierne. I'll be honest, I used to really dislike his music except for a few pieces, but I don't know, it must be middle age doing something to my brain (LOL) but I'm beginning to really like it! I don't know the symphonies all that well except for some of the more famous movements. But all along I've liked the finale to the first symphony, for example. I've recently started to read through the free pieces, and I think they are just wonderful! So impressionistic in many ways. . . (There's the issue with me, you see. I used to absolutely hate Debussy and other Impressionism, and my friends thought I had gone completely mad last summer because I was sitting around playing Clair de Lune and getting ecstatic! LOL So that might give a clue about suddenly liking Vierne!) I have to get to know the symphonies better, but yes, they are really difficult!

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Thomas, yes, well even Debussy was complimentary about Vierne and his skills as a composer with special reference to his organ music. His harmonic language, IMHO, teeters on the brink of atonality, deliciously without ever quite falling over.