Moody blues or Yes?

methodistgirl

Who likes the group Yes or The Moody Blues? There are songs from
both of them that I really like. Owner of a lonely heart from Yes.
You're Wildest Dreams by the Moody blues.
judy tooley

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Both are great bands, although for Yes I prefer their prog output over their eighties commercial outing (I love the song Owner of a lonely heart though). All in all, I hold Yes in a higher esteem musically.

Andrew Roussak

Both are great bands, although for Yes I prefer their prog output over their eighties commercial outing (I love the song Owner of a lonely heart though). All in all, I hold Yes in a higher esteem musically.

Yep, I would say the same. YES were ( and are ) more creative and somehow less predictable ( the way The Beatles were, too ).
That is, I vote for Yes!

methodistgirl

The moody blues I almost grew up with their music from Go now to
Your Wildest Dreams. I do know one fact. Yes used to have Patrick
Moraz in their group and now he belongs to the moody blues. I know
of another favorite Yes song. Seen all good people and Leave it.
judy tooley

hillelr

yes albums

if you want to know yes
a little more i recommend the yes album(where i have seen all good people is a song from) and relayer as a start
these are amazing albums if you liked i have seen all good people you will definitely like those albums

pnoom

Owner of a lonely heart from Yes.
judy tooley

Gah! Get their Fragile album. Far more creative freedom (and thus more creative expression). 90125 is a good pop album, but Fragile is simply a great album regardless of genre boundaries.

EDIT: I've never much cared for the Moody Blues.

janny108

I grew up on those bands Judy!! I like them both, but probably liked Yes a bit more. I don't have favorite songs, I did see them in concert in '73 though,also in '88.

Jan

Soubasse

Hi Judy,

Interesting to see you over here as well. Whilst I admire the Moody Blues (love Justin Hayward's voice!), it is Yes who are held in the greatest esteem by me for a huge number of reasons. Both my wife and I had the time of our lives at their 35th anniversary show in Melbourne - best rock gig ever. We also met them before the show and even managed to exchange a few words with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman (one of my heroes - Rick and I are practically on first name terms via emails on occasion. I actually put together - and played keyboards for - an all-Wakeman tribute night a coupe of years ago, with his blessing.:))

Anyway, seeing as how you're a fan of the pipe organ as well, I have a feeling you would really enjoy Yes' Going For The One album - there are two tracks on it in which Rick uses - to brilliant effect - the impressive instrument in the church of St. Martin in Vevey, Switzerland. The album's final track, Awaken, is for me, one of the most stunning Prog Rock pieces ever and Yes' best work (IMHO of course) and it wouldn't be even half as stunning without the pipes in there!

Enjoy - and I'll also second and third the other suggestions to give their earlier albums a go, esp. Fraglie and Close To The Edge (pipe organ in that one too! :grin:)

mattbanx

Fragile and 90125 I like from Yes.
I like a lot of what I have heard from The Moody Blues also.
Threshold Of A Dream I guess was very revolutionary at the time it came out.
I liked their putting classical instruments to a pop asthetic and how they advanced the new keyboard technology. Making it actually sound like an orchestra.
They also played odd instruments on some of their albums that hav'nt been made in a couple of centuries.
Their eighties albums were more strict songcraft and less experimental. I like it just the same.
I always thought Moody Blues were one of the larger influences on the modern rock scene.
So they had the cake and ate it too.

Last edited:

chromaticism

Who likes the group Yes or The Moody Blues? There are songs from
both of them that I really like. Owner of a lonely heart from Yes.
You're Wildest Dreams by the Moody blues.
judy tooley

Honestly speaking, I'm much more familiar with Yes than the Moody Blues. I think the most artistic albums Yes had produced would be "Close To The Edge" and "Relayer" though in some way or another, these two albums are at odds with one another.

Upon listening to both albums, I think "Close To The Edge" has a more baroque/classical feel to it (think Bach to Beethoven or Berlioz in one way or another) while "Relayer" approaches romantic to modern or avant garde (Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Schaeffer et al). Subjectively speaking, if "Close To The Edge" might seem like eating a moist dark chocolate cake, then "Relayer" feels as if your biting down a crunchy granola bar with a lot of dried fruit in it (in a good way of course).

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
The name Moody Blues (the UK) eqauls one specific song for me "Nights In White Satin". One of the songs still sculptured in my memory from the past hippie days and the Flower Power movement.

The band Yes, on the other hand originated by the el. bassist Chris Squire, when he met the english singer Jon Anderson in 1968. Rick Wakeman entered the band in 1971 to replace the keyboardian Tony Kaye. The later well known jazz/rock drummer Bill Bruford sat behind the drums then, but was replaced in 1972 by Alan White (later on known for his drumming with John Lennon´s - Plastic One Band). Steve Howe played the guitars from 1973.

In the late of the 1960´s-1977 Yes was one of the most innovative bands in England, like Pink Floyd.

Please listen to the tripple album from 1973 "Yessongs" Awesome grand music by five highly individual musicians. The albums one by one on Atlantic Records:

1. Yes (1969).
2. Time And A Word (1970)
3. The Yes Album (1971)
4. Fragile (1971)
5. Close To The Edge (1972)
6. Yessongs (1973)
7. Tales From The Topographic Oceans (1973)
8. Relayer (1974)
9. Going For The One (1977)

Last edited:

almauro

YES were on of the few bands that but together 3 classic albums in a row, 'Yes Album", 'Fragile", 'Close to the Edge", the proceeded to crank out one of the greatest live albums, "Yessongs". Tanked for a while before making a killer comeback, "Going for the One". This is one of the great discographies in music. I tend to think of the Moodies a singles band, i.e. "Nights in White Satin", "Tues. Afternoon". Albiet, great singles, I prefer the long-player.

methodistgirl

I do too! I noticed how many people have came back to some of
these older songs and groups. They have more meaning.
judy tooley

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
I think that--on balance--Yes was a much more adventureous, risk-taking and overall innovative band than were the Moodies. The Moodies were more "accessible" musically to a wider and more popular audience than Yes, at least to my memories of those times.

heartscore

I don't know anything from the Moody Blues, but I really love Yes within their classic period. As written above I would also highly recommend "Fragile", "Relayer" and "The Yes album". But personally I give a higher rating to the two Live-albums "Yessongs" and "Yesshows". In my opinion their music really shines there. The studio-versions are sometimes a little anemic compared to the live-versions. Just compare the versions of "Don't kill the whale" on "Tormato" and "Yesshows" and you know what I mean.

teddy

Duckmeister
Its the MB for me. Just personal taste that is all. I have a fair collection, maunly on vinyl. (Stve, sorry I could not read your post because of the colour).

teddy

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Its the MB for me. Just personal taste that is all. I have a fair collection, maunly on vinyl. (Stve, sorry I could not read your post because of the colour).

teddy

Teddy, sorry about that; I was of the opinion that on balance, Yes was a more innovative and risk taking group than the Moody Blues. I like them both, though.