• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Two Cochereau recordings

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
These are absolutely wonderful to listen too, acc.

Our thanks for sharing these performances of Cochereau with the organ community here :).

acc

Well, I guess I'm one of those old-fashioned guys who believes that with music, what counts is what you hear.:cool: Besides, should the uploaders of those Cochereau recordings (especially the St-Roch rarity!) have refrained from sharing their treasures with the rest of us just because they're audio only? As far as I'm concerned, the answer is clearly: no!

Anyway, as far as Cochereau videos go, this one is a real treat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23D8fl_TUXg

Thierry59

Well, I guess I'm one of those old-fashioned guys who believes that with music, what counts is what you hear.:cool: Besides, should the uploaders of those Cochereau recordings (especially the St-Roch rarity!) have refrained from sharing their treasures with the rest of us just because they're audio only? As far as I'm concerned, the answer is clearly: no!

Anyway, as far as Cochereau videos go, this one is a real treat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23D8fl_TUXg

There are plenty of other sites to share music recordings than youtube !!Besides the sound quality is very often better on these websites!!

Anyway, happy that you appreciate the videos I put on youtube!

acc

There are plenty of other sites to share music recordings than youtube !!Besides the sound quality is very often better on these websites!!

The audio quality of the Youtube items with video is not any better than that of the items without. :smirk: So I guess the question of audio quality and the question of "audio+video vs. audio only" are really two separate questions.

I also don't think that historical recordings such as the Cochereau St-Roch, or the BWV542 by Vierne and Dupré I mentioned recently, would benefit in any way from higher audio quality than the HQ Youtube currently offers — their purpose is elsewhere.

Why not look at the bright side of things: I'm already very happy that someone has uploaded those gems at all. :)

Another point is that no "audio only" site has a popularity that comes anywhere near that of Youtube. (Just look at postings on this very forum: whenever someone shares a link to a music file on the Internet, it's a Youtube link 99,9% of the time.) One possible reason for this popularity could be the interface, which is particularly flexible. I think we have now reached a point where it makes sense for anyone who has an interesting file (with or without video) to upload it to Youtube if he does not want it to go completely unnoticed...

Of course, if there are any particular audio files on other sites that you find interesting and of good quality, then by all means: don't hesitate to share them with us! :cheers:

Thierry59

Blabla.
You don't understand my point.
For example I share with music fans some abstracts without using youtube. tThere is nothing more frustrating than hearing a bad sound quality and no images of the organist playing on his instrument. The organ has become an almost unknown instrument since it is often played by amateurs hiden in dark churches...
Mais brisons là!

acc

First of all, I'm sorry to point out that dismissing what I say as "blabla" is, to put it mildly, not very helpful. I think Magle's forum has (so far) managed to conduct discussions in a civilized way, where people respect each other. It would be nice to keep it that way.

Having said that, please rest assured that, although I may not share your point of view, I certainly understand it (those are two quite different things): to you, the level of acceptable audio quality depends on whether video footage is present; to me, it does not.

Finally, since you mention sharing with music fans, I can only reiterate my previous suggestion: you are welcome to share your non-Youtube discoveries here, too!

Thierry59

a)Are you a music fan or a teacher (to put it mildly)??
b)I don't frequently visit this forum so I am not sure to share anything with you.

wljmrbill

#Well I enjoyed the audio recordings even if no video present as such. Most times you can not see the organist anyway unless you are very lucky. Of course as an organist I much preferred they couldn't see me most of the time except for some concerts on the main floor.

pcnd5584

First, an improvised symphony at St.Thomas church, New York, on November 9, 1970:

And second, a rare recording of him at St-Roch, Paris, in 1954, i.e. a few months before his nomination at Notre-Dame:

Thank you for these - they are excellent.

I understand that often there is no video footage available but I am puzzled (since whoever upoaded the video to YouTube clearly possessed some pictures of Saint Thomas' Church, Fifth Avenue) as to why, at 00.00.51 there is a still photograph of Cochereau seated at the console of the organ at Dijon Cathedral....

acc

Of course as an organist I much preferred they couldn't see me most of the time

That reminds me of the story of an organist who gave a concert without realizing he was being filmed and projected onto a big screen in front of the audience. :crazy: Since it was much hotter at the organ loft than downstairs, he took off his jacket after playing the first piece, his tie after the second, etc. After a while, he had taken off more than he probably should have, but the icing on the cake came when he eventually removed his false teeth and put them on the console in plain view of the camera!:clap:

acc

I understand that often there is no video footage available but I am puzzled (since whoever upoaded the video to YouTube clearly possessed some pictures of Saint Thomas' Church, Fifth Avenue) as to why, at 00.00.51 there is a still photograph of Cochereau seated at the console of the organ at Dijon Cathedral....

Well, I guess that if you don't have any pictures of Cochereau at St.Thomas, there are two ways of extending your supply: on one hand St.Thomas without Cochereau, and on the other hand Cochereau without St.Thomas.

Mind you, this video is pretty striking, too: Dupré plays at St-Sulpice, but the picture shows him at Notre-Dame, while responding to this one, where Vierne plays at Notre-Dame, but with a picture showing him at the Wanamaker store in New York!

Anyway, in such cases, I usually strip the audio from the downloaded video right away — takes up much less space on my hard drive.

Thierry59

Leçon de musique

Ah yes - the lesson at Nôtre-Dame with Pierre Cochereau and Maurice Clerc (Titulaire de la Cathédrale de Dijon).

Yes it is. Il also have the rest of the tv show including, in a first part, how to play a mvt of the 2nd of Vierne and in a second part certain advises on how to improvise a sherzo : Clerc improvises on a theme given by Cochereau and then the Master plays: this is the sequence visible on you yube. I'm afraid it is useless to put it on this website since there are only few people able to understand French!:cry:

pcnd5584

Yes it is. Il also have the rest of the tv show including, in a first part, how to play a mvt of the 2nd of Vierne and in a second part certain advises on how to improvise a sherzo : Clerc improvises on a theme given by Cochereau and then the Master plays: this is the sequence visible on you yube. I'm afraid it is useless to put it on this website since there are only few people able to understand French!:cry:

I saw the whole film (as far as I know) several years ago, in the company of David Briggs, after a lesson. I believe that the lesson on the Choral from Vierne's Symphonie Deuxième featured a young lady organist (whose identity I do not know). At one point Cochereau made a mistake in describing something, although I cannot recall exactly what this was.

The Clerc scherzo began, as someone has pointed-out, rather low down on the clavier. Cochereau was distinctly unimpressed!

Thierry59

I saw the whole film (as far as I know) several years ago, in the company of David Briggs, after a lesson. I believe that the lesson on the Choral from Vierne's Symphonie Deuxième featured a young lady organist (whose identity I do not know). At one point Cochereau made a mistake in describing something, although I cannot recall exactly what this was.

The Clerc scherzo began, as someone has pointed-out, rather low down on the clavier. Cochereau was distinctly unimpressed!
Quite so!
Before listening to PC, one has the impression that finally, Clerc is a real good improviser, but when Cochereau takes over him at the manuals.....:confused:

pcnd5584

Quite so!
Before listening to PC, one has the impression that finally, Clerc is a real good improviser, but when Cochereau takes over him at the manuals.....:confused:

Indeed!

I think that I have a CD of Clerc improvising somewhere (or it might be performing transcriptions of improvisations by Cochereau and other artists). I will try to locate it later.

acc

I believe that the lesson on the Choral from Vierne's Symphonie Deuxième featured a young lady organist (whose identity I do not know).

Her name is Carole Parlanti (but I'm afraid that's all I know about her).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thierry59

The lady organist is Carole Parlanti who had been a pupil of René Saorgin and PC at the Nice Conservatoire from 1964 and 1977.