The hygene epidemic ...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I was just watching this drivel on T.V. espousing the view that, unless your house is SPOTLESSLY clean you are in GRAVE danger of getting sick.

Mmmmm, I'm not the BEST housekeeper in the world but I do at least keep my bathroom spotless and the kitchen too.

I read an article once about the fact that the Japanese, who are the world's cleanest nation, are suffer ill-effects of this spotless regime. They often have very poor defence systems and succumb to colds and 'flu with ease.

I'm not convinced one way or the other, but I do know that, as a child, I was often crawling around in the garden and no doubt ate a few snails and other horrific things.

What do you think?

Sylvie Pacey

tTHE HYGIENE EPIDEMIC

I seem to recall some time after the end of hostilities in the late '40s or early '50s in the U.K there were trials carried out with cattle being kept in completely sanitised conditions and then being exposed to normal cattle infections. The 'Guinea Pig' cattle succumbed very easily, with no resistance due to their immune systems unable to react. A sterile environment does nothing to encourage the fighting ability of the immune sytem to keep on top of things. I keep my house clean and tidy but I'm not too keen on complete sterility in any environment with the exception of hospitals where it can be vital. Sylvie

marval

I believe that a place needs to be clean, but not to the extent that some people tell us. I have heard other reports that places should not be over clean. I am also sure that when we were children, we got mucky in the garden. I never remember it doing us any harm.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I agree with Margaret here ... trying to keep a house squeaky clean could wind up being a full time job in itself. If papers and stuff is kept picked up and a regular vacuuming of the carpet is done, one should be able to remain healthy.

I don't think I ever ate any snails as David admits here, but I did consume the nectar from the wild honey blossom hedge as well as "sour grass" which grew wildly in the yard. I don't think I would "dine" on such things today though.

marval

I might have done, I don't remember it. But I did get offered escargot when I was in France, funnily enough I declined.

The only snails I remember eating were chocolate ones.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Chocolate snails? Never had them, but I've eaten plenty of pastries we call 'snails' here, they ARE yummy.

Indeed they are ... I've had those here in the states, but a long time ago. Don't know of any bakeries that make them here anymore. :bawl:

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I am also sure that when we were children, we got mucky in the garden. I never remember it doing us any harm.

Margaret

You are quite right Margaret your immune system needs a certain amount of bad bugs to keep it on its toes.

marval

Yes J.H.C. that is what they say, I believe in basic hygeine but not to go over the top.

Margaret