Time for a moan

Dorsetmike

From another thread

I was just watching this drivel on T.V.
Looking back I am reminded why I no longer watch TV, I probably saw less than 2 hours of it in 2009, and some of that was on display models in retailers!!:eek:

As for other media, I only take the daily local newspaper, national rags are useless, almost everything in them is sensationalised and/or distorted to reflect the views of their owners or advertisers. :(

I avoid "social networking" sites like the plague, you won't find me on Facebook, Twitter, I avoid Flickr whenever possible, can't stand the sycophantic comments and mutual back slapping, or back stabbing in some cases.:crazy:

As for the "nanny state" and the blame and claim culture, between them soon everything will be banned. No swings or slides on kids playgrounds, they might scratch their knee and parents will sue; No photography, the photographers could be terrorists or perverts; How long before they ban bikinis because sun burn could be dangerous?:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm a grumpy old fart, but I do sometimes wonder where we are headed :smirk:

marval

Hi Mike

I can see where you are coming from, this nanny state has got out of hand. I don't do social networking sites either, I have seen how peopole treat each other.

The television of now is mostly rubbish, I do watch it every now and then. I prefer to listen to the radio on my computer.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Mike,

Nope, you are not a grumpy old fart ... your observations are right on target as the same is happening here across the pond. We cancelled our cable television service as most of it was stuff we had no interest in watching. Our pet peeve is the endless commercials ... nowadays, the program is interrupting the commercials :lol: ... !

We went the streaming television route, bought a Roku box and subscribed to a service that offers shows and movies without commercials. Shows are downloaded to the TV from a wireless router hooked up to our ADSL provider.

I do have a Facebook page, but limit its access to family and close friends only ... makes for an easy way to share photos and family/friend newsy bits.

Indeed our present culture is getting way too picky ... over here we have the ACLU, an organization of, imho, cretins, who have nothing else better to do than create more problems than they solve.

Gosh, I sure hope they never ban bikinis :nut: ... but then in Arizona we don't [yet] have beachfront property, so that sight is far and few between anyway :bawl: :nut:.