Then and Now

Dorsetmike

SCHOOL -- 1959 vs. 2009

Scenario 1: Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.

1959 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up friends.
2009 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark.
Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.
Parents of both boys sue the school.

Scenario 2: Robbie won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1959 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2009 - Robbie given huge doses of Valium. Becomes a zombie. Tested for Aids. School gets extra money from state because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario 3: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a wallop with his slipper.

1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang.....ends up a drug addict.

Scenario 4: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1959 - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with
2009 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug offences. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario5: Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from bonfire night, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up an ant’s nest.

1959 - Ants die.
2009- Police & Anti-terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, CID investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terrorist watch list and is never allowed to fly again. Surviving ants sue fireworks manufacturers.

Scenario 6: Johnny falls while running during playtime and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1959 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She gets 3 years in Jail. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

;):grin::smirk::rolleyes:

marval

Oh dear what a sad state of affairs, but unfortunately true. That is what seems to have happened, what a change since the fifties.

Margaret

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
This gave me the best laugh that I have had in a long while, sadly it is right on the mark, what a pathetic bunch we have become why do we put up with all this PC crap, I misbehaved at school and was given a whack to the side of my head and latter on through being stupid and cheeky as kids are at times I earned 4 of the best on my Hand, the lesson was learned “actions have consequences” better to learn this early on as opposed to having a knife in your guts in the real world.
Sorry a bit of a ramble :grin:

dll927

This is what "politically correct" has done. "Correct" by whose standards?

School districts not only beat the bushes trying to find every live body they can, but anything that can be termed out of the ordinary gets extra funding. Paid for by guess who.

Ever wonder why those who can do so send their kids to parochial schools? There, the kids follow the rules or know the reason why -- or they don't stay. To some degree, the same can probably be said of "home-schooling", but how do you suspend a kid from the family? It also raises questions about the qualifications of the "teachers", but that also happens in public schools.

At my age (Medicare), I can guarantee you that most of the 'old salt' teachers I had in my day would take one look at today's public schools and head straight for the front door. And they would say, "This is not a school". Whether or not that is progress could be a subject of lengthy discussion.

rojo

(Ret)
Meh, I prefer now, sorry. I won't even bother to list all the reasons why. I will say this though. I teach for a living. My young students are all respectful and polite. They give me confidence for the future.

I agree with Mat; ants suing fireworks manufacturers? That I'd like to see. :grin:

JHC

Meh, I prefer now, sorry. I won't even bother to list all the reasons why. I will say this though. I teach for a living. My young students are all respectful and polite. They give me confidence for the future.
. :grin:

Could this be due to the type of homes that they come from ?

rojo

(Ret)
^ Possibly; I'm not really be able to answer that.

I'm polite with them, so perhaps they return the treatment. :)

JHC

Very comendable rojo, perhaps Canadian youth are more polite than Kiwi and English youth;)

Dorsetmike

Could this be due to the type of homes that they come from ?

You probably have a good point there: the "league tables" for school performances in exam results were recently published here, it was very noticeable how the results varied relative to the catchment areas, one of the criteria was the percentage of pupils gaining 5 or more grades from A* through C, scores ranged from 100% down to 17%. The school scoring only 17% has the highest level of absenteeism and is in an area with a very high incidence of anti social behaviour by youths.

JHC

You probably have a good point there: the "league tables" for school performances in exam results were recently published here, it was very noticeable how the results varied relative to the catchment areas, one of the criteria was the percentage of pupils gaining 5 or more grades from A* through C, scores ranged from 100% down to 17%. The school scoring only 17% has the highest level of absenteeism and is in an area with a very high incidence of anti social behaviour by youths.

I agree Mike.
I am not a teacher but have noticed that children that come from a home where the work ethic is strong, discipline firm but not brutal have what I would call a healthy outlook on life and generally do well in life as opposed to those coming from a home where work is an anathema, drugs, booze and violence are the norm these children have an almost impossible hurdle to overcome, You can not talk or reason with anyone if they do not want to be talked to or reasoned with, of course there are the exceptions.