Swansong for Cadbury thanks to greedy America

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Well, Cadbury is up for grabs and Kraft Foods (shudder) from the United States is offering to buy the company. Hereforth I will no longer by Cadbury chocolate if that happens. Kraft bought out the Australian company that makes Vegemite, havn't bought that since. This article is quite amusing from the British press (not sure if it's tongue in cheek yet):

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...I love this forum?-asks-britain-201001192389/

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I just may give up chocolate altogether I need to loose a few inches from my mid regions ;)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
J.H.C.: "mid-regions inDEED" (in a voice reminiscent of Dr. Smith), but all humour aside, it irks me that Cadbury is almost assuredly up-for-grabs by some American multi-national. Next they'll be buy the royal family ...

Dorsetmike

CT, the Daily Mash has it's tongue so firmly in its cheek that it's grown roots there.

I quite enjoy some of their other ramblings but it's difficult to recommend most of their articles on a family forum. :eek:

dll927

My take is that Cadbury is pretty much the Brithish Hersheys, and you all seem to be assuming that whoever buys it out will ruin things. Have patience, my dear folks.

Buyouts seem to be the big financial game they all play. Some outfits are almost vultures when it comes to buying up other companies.

Chocolate may be chocolate, but like many foods, it's all in how you put it together.

jhnbrbr

What they do to the product is the least of my worries. The worrying thing is that one by one all of our major industries are being dismantled and restarted overseas. We Brits will soon be a nation of migrant workers. There's also the question of the history and heritage associated with chocolate making at Bournville - Kraft have said they will respect that, but a few years on, and it may well be a different story. Sir Adrian Cadbury today described the takeover as a "disaster".

marval

I can't remember the last time I had any chocolate, oh yes some chocolate orange on Boxing day. So I will not miss it, but I do think it is a shame that a great British institution is going away from it's traditions. The article was very tongue in cheek, but it did make me smile.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
My take is that Cadbury is pretty much the Brithish Hersheys, and you all seem to be assuming that whoever buys it out will ruin things.

DLL, yes well, Kraft took over the Australian company that makes Arnott's biscuits AND vegemite and both product lines have subtely changed and NOT for the better. So, I CAN speak from personal experience of this sort of action.

methodistgirl

From what I understand over the years. Cadbury used to be with
Hershey. Hershey should own it. The problem is with what I found
out from the media. Everything here is made of some kind of corn
product from batteries to Kraft products. That to me is scary.
judy tooley

jhnbrbr

Here's a short article giving a hint of the Cadbury heritage:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...-vision-Utopia-built-British-institution.html

I might add as a footnote that the Friends Meeting house in Bournville has an organ which is quite rare in the UK (quakers mainly worship in silence). The reason apparently was that the Cadburys intended the building to be shared by all denominations. In that, at least, they were a little over-optimistic, but the story of Bournville is certainly a remarkable one.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
But there are two sides to the coin ... granted Kraft is buying out Cadbury, but ... it takes two to tango, right?

Kraft can't buy if the other party isn't willing ... someone from the company had to approve the purchase. Cadbury could have remained intact ... nobody was forcing them to sell ... or did I miss something?

My 5 DKK's worth, anyway ;)