Oldude intro

OLDUDE

Sorry that I,m totally new to this sort of thing,and may get a bit confused trying to fathom out the system.

As a (very)silver surfer I have listened to jazz of many kinds for 60+ years, and on the whole have found few people to share my enthusiasm.
Enough to say that I started with the likes of Shearing, Goodman, Kenton,
MJQ, S.Rogers, Brubeck. (and the whole West Coast scene), and am currently adding new interests almost daily through the miraculous medium of Spotify. for example the Vache Brothers, Randy Sandke.

Having established a CD I want to own. I shift to Amazon and depending on cost, may buy the CD in it's entirety or download it.
Herebye follows my first problem, which I hope may be resolved, when
necessary, by recourse to Jazz Forum members. Downloading seldom
provides a full discography for any Band or Group.
Take, for example, a recent purchase - "Pee Wee Russell Takes" -. Who
is the excellent pianist for the set ? Any Suggestions?

Dorsetmike

Welcome from another old dude; looks like our jazz tastes are similar, I started listening about 1950/51, much to my fathers disgust.

I was lucky enough to see some of the artists you mention when thay toured England back in the 50's - 70's Shearing, MJQ, Shorty Rogers, plus Shelly Manne, Jimmy Giuffre, Ella, Basie, Ellington and Hermann, Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass.

I prefer last.fm to Spotify, I have a second PC connected to a decent stereo system so get all day sound. I do add to the the jazz though, I also like quite a bit of baroque keyboard.

I find a similar problem with band line ups I did a Google on Pee Wee and found the following

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/artist/Russell,+Pee+Wee/a/Pee+Wee+Russell.htm

If you click on most of the CDs you go to a page which has track listing and if you click on "more info" you should find the line up, for the ones I looked at the pianist was Nat Pierce.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
As a (very)silver surfer I have listened to jazz of many kinds for 60+ years, and on the whole have found few people to share my enthusiasm.
Enough to say that I started with the likes of Shearing, Goodman, Kenton,
MJQ, S.Rogers, Brubeck. (and the whole West Coast scene),

Hi OD I am about your vintage and am a keen fan of the above mentioned names but I also enjoy the Dixie and in my busy youth played in a Trad jazz band. hope to have some fun discussions with you.;)

OLDUDE

thanks to my welcomers.
In particular to Dorsetmike - I have meant to try last.fm and will now definitely do so,
and will also check the website for band line-ups

Willem

Hi Old Dude: I'm another "venerable gentleman" with broad musical tastes. I"m a keyboardist myself and was a fellow student of the late, great Bill Evans. Bill's older brother Harry and I were room mates. Bill and I were the same age and I can tell you that at age 17, Bill was playing superb, very sophisticated jazz already. I'm a film and music archivist and have a lot of vinyl LPs. Most are classical, but I've got some jazz two. My favorite keyboardists are Bill (of course) Shearing, Billy Taylor, and several others I can't put my finger on right now. I also liked (loved) Kenton, Woody Herman, Les Brown, and remember the old Sauter-Finnegan orchestra? Anyway, stay cool and hip and best regards.
Willem

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
A much belated welcome to you, Oldude! :tiphat:

I'm glad you found and joined us here!

Best regards,
Frederik