Sad money tale

marval

This morning a friend of ours called round. He told this sad but true tale, proving that money does rule.

The other day he heard a bang outside his house, on going to look he found that a young dog had run into the road and been hit by a car. He found a plastic sheet in his van, putting the dog on it he took dog and owner to the vets.

The vet confirmed what our friend had thought that the dog had broken his back. He was clearly in a lot of pain, the vet was asked would he put the dog down. Yes said the vet, but it will cost you £70.

The owner did not have the money, so our friend paid. I thought what a heartless decision, supposing nobody had the money, would he have left the dog to suffer? How can anyone in that situation put money before humanity.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
It is sad, Margaret ... and, imho, very unthinkable for the vet to even think twice about, considering his/her calling to that job field doing what is best for the animal.

just as the victim who is injured in a car wreck is asked "do you have insurance" BEFORE the ambulance ride to the hospital is ordered. Even human suffering is subject to the almighty dollar (or pound, as it is in your region).

wljmrbill

Yes this has become a sad state of reality for all people these days..it seems the almighty dollar/pound etc comes first before human/animal welfare/treatment...,makes you wonder what has become of our values?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
The flip side of the coin is when someone asks "what's in it for me?".

Is it VALUES or VALUE$ ... :shake:

Dorsetmike

I think I'd have been inclined to call the RSPCA or PDSA, (Peoples dispensary for sick animals)

At least in UK we have the National Health Service so we don't have a problem with human emergencies.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I think I'd have been inclined to call the RSPCA or PDSA, (Peoples dispensary for sick animals)
And get it in the daily papers this joker is a disgrace to an otherwise fine profession:mad:

At least in UK we have the National Health Service so we don't have a problem with human emergencies.
Wish we could say the same

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . At least in UK we have the National Health Service so we don't have a problem with human emergencies.

For sure, and I envy you people there!

Sadly, here across the pond, the medical situations are a complete disaster ... again in the name of "money".

Identical meds are available from Canada at one-third the price - often made by the same pharmaceutical company (who is located in the US, mind you) - but in order to have it covered by our individual insurance companies, we are forced to buy from the US distributor, who gets "their take", again in the name of money.

At age 65, US residents are required (by law) to apply for Medicare, which these days doesn't cover much, hence we are then required to "pay through the nose" for supplemental insurance coverage. If our Congress had to use the same system as the citizens do, there would be huge changes - but alas, they have "their own" insurance coverage just for their own elite group. The US, where all men are created equal ... bah, humbug.

Dorsetmike

So, you want for us to look out for a suitable house, not too far from a big old echoing church with at least a 3 manual organ (a spare cathedral with 4+ manuals might be a little more difficult to find at short notice) :smirk: ;) :grin:

wljmrbill

Hey Mike that sure sounds good to me !!!!! I have many friends in England anyway.. THat is what happens when you get old.".have the time but not the money you need to do alot of things....LOL

Hawk Henries

wljmrbill can I go too!!! I have a few friends in England but many many soon to be friends once I get there.
Hmmmm I can smell the Bangers and Mash as we speak... :)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Sign me up too :D.

Actually, I'll be vacationing some in the UK this summer - I'll check out the want-ads while there, as if ... :rolleyes: