Greetings from Orkney

ricardian

I live on the island of Stronsay (population 400) in Orkney. I retired from the Civil Service in 2003 and we moved up here from Scarborough (Yorkshire) 6 years ago. Although I've no formal qualifications I've been a church organist for many years and now play an elderly but still reliable electronic organ (a Wyvern) in the local Church of Scotland church on Stronsay. In our previous (Anglican) parish in Scarborough I was the regular organist at the two churches; one church was medieval and "middle of the road" Anglican, the other church was built in 1955 and had an anglo-catholic style of worship (incense, bells, stations of the cross etc). Quite a culture shock moving to the Presbyterian, "hymn sandwich" style of worship although I had been the organist at the Church of Scotland in Brora, Sutherland about 30 years ago.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Welcome to the forum, Ricardian. I'm pretty sure you'll have a great time here. Have a look around and do join in.

jhnbrbr

Welcome to the forum, Ricardian. I have fond memories of a holiday in Orkney - it's a very special place, and I know the annual music festival attracts some top rate artists - including the blessed Dame Gilllian. Hope you enjoy your time with us.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I live on the island of Stronsay (population 400) in Orkney. .

Nice to meet you ricardian. Do you have any difficulty with the dialect? I listen to the local Orkney radio station now and again (on internet radio) and can catch about 2 words out of 3 :)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:wave: Welcome aboard, ricardian.

Nice to have you join our forum. Always great to meet another fellow organist ... :)

We hope you will enjoy your time here.

marval

Hello ricardian

Welcome to this great community, I look forward to you joining in.

Margaret