A timely Facebook warning - read this if you use Facebook

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
There's been some interesting stories in the news here (Oz) about groups of Facebook users who target the loose "friend" connections for evil purposes.

I did notice that some users ( a lot? ) say things like "on holidays in Italy" as their status update comments, but didn't pay much attention, except for mental noting friends whereabouts.

PLEASE DON'T PUT THAT SORT OF INFORMATION OUT THERE

There have been cases of robberies based on search engines that hunt out such text strings as "away on vacation" "out of town" and so forth.

Worth a little consideration.

David

p.s. I'm not on holiday (sadly)

marval

I don't do Facebook, but that is good advice. It is so easy just to casually mention that sort of thing, not really knowing who the people on there are.

Someone I was chatting to told me about some people who got some tickets for a London show, they arrived in the post saying they had won them. Instead of checking they went to the show, and came back to find their house totally stripped. A good lesson learned I think.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Sage advise for sure. Although I have a Facebook page, it's totally restricted to family and close friends only. I've gotten the odd "I'm your friend" messages from peeps I have never heard of from time to time ... I never respond to those either yay or nae.

Mostly use it for chit chat between family members and sharing pictures, but never share potential trip information.

marval

I have always said that if a robber came to my house, he would feel sorry for me and leave something.

Margaret