Top alto-sax Jazz musician

OLDUDE

In my opinion Paul Desmond fits the bill, (with or without Brubeck);
however there may be controversy on this viewpoint.

OLDUDE

Hi All you jazz fans, I was expecting some (anti) response for this thread statement but none so far.
Everybody must agree with me, huh?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Apparently, jazz is not that popular on this board. There were a few members who used to post a lot but they're either gone or not as frequent guests as before.

I, for one, am a big fan of the soprano saxophone so I don't have anything interesting to say in the alto field. However, I'd be grateful if someone could help me find soprano artists.

Dorsetmike

Lisa Graham, plays in th eJools Holland band and also for an all sax group plays Alto and have also seen her playing Soprano.

I'll try and find a link tomorrow.

OLDUDE

Ok, by default everyone accepts Paul Desmond as the top alto player.

Now lets help Mat find soprano players;
I would suggest that Sydney Bechet must go down first. My own current favourite is Bob Wilber (Clarinet and saxes, particularly including soprano).
There are many others, and a good way to find them is 1) to go to Wikipedia and enter in the search bar "Saxophone jazz players". 2) Click on the item which lists sax players in Alphabetic order.
There are a lot of soprano players listed although most play other saxes as well.
Cheers John

OLDUDE

Editing my prior post.;
Wiki entry should be "List of Jazz saxophonists".
Sorry about that, John

OLDUDE

I,ve been thinking about what Mat wrote in his response to this thread; not many jazz forum members now participating.
Why would that be? There seems to be plenty of interest according to the numbers actually viewing the threads.
Cheers john

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Thanks for the suggestions, John. I'll have a look at the list.

marval

Well I am not a jazz expert John, but my husband agrees with you. His favourite is Paul Desmond, so I have to bow to both your superior knowledge.

Margaret

OLDUDE

Hi Margaret,
I,ll drop you one of my favourite P.D. tracks.
What does Hub think of Art Pepper?

Cheers John

OLDUDE

teddy,
My wikipedia list of jazz saxophonists mentioned on post of Mar 4th only indicated alto for Cannoball, but i guess like most other jazz players he could turn to other instruments without difficulty.

Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
teddy,
My wikipedia list of jazz saxophonists mentioned on post of Mar 4th only indicated alto for Cannoball, but i guess like most other jazz players he could turn to other instruments without difficulty.

Cheers John

John

When you google Cannonball it lists him (complete with photograph) as also playing soprano. I believe this was from about 1970 onwards. I never completely trust Wikipedia as anyone can write on it and even I believe delete from it. Let me know if I am wrong ( my wife would be so pleased).

BR

Teddy

OLDUDE

Hi Teddy,
I wouldn't bet on Wiki against Google.
However I dont think it is that easy to delete from Wiki; more likely it just hasn't been suitably revised.
Your big chance to edit Wiki eh, Teddy?

teddy

Duckmeister
Hi Teddy,
I wouldn't bet on Wiki against Google.
However I dont think it is that easy to delete from Wiki; more likely it just hasn't been suitably revised.
Your big chance to edit Wiki eh, Teddy?

John
Me write jazz notes on the internet?
Where will it all end?

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Just had the suprise of finding Davie Bowie (yes, that David Bowie) listed as a soprano saxophonist. Can't saw i have been aware of it up to now. Has anybody listened to his work in this area? Any comments?

teddy