What about Video game music?

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
The music in video games have definately improved through the last 5 years. My brother plays alot of adventure/role-playing games and I often notice the scores in these games. They are often very beautiful! Alot is orchestral music with foucus on the heavy percussion - somewhat similar to some filmscores.

I have been listening to the scores in World of Warcraft and Diablo 2 and I find them both great!
It is a composer named Matt Uelmen (not sure if the spelling is correct) who composed the music for Diablo 2. Never heard of him before...
smile.gif

lumzi23 -> Welcome to the forums! When you create a post in the future it would be great if you could attach your personal oppinion in stead of just only posting some links
smile.gif

Also, it is very important to make sure that all mp3 files are legal to download and are not protected by any copyrights! It seems like the links you posted are allright, legal wise, so no problem there
smile.gif
But always keep this in mind!
cool.gif

rojo

(Ret)
I have taught video game music to some of my piano students. I have taught from Final Fantasy, Nuobo Uematsu`s `To Zanarkand` (and others), and from Mario Bros., Koji Kondo`s `Underwater Theme.`

The students get a kick out of it, and some of the music really is quite good. Some of it is fairly difficult (for students). I`m thinking of making some simpler arrangements for them; I don`t think the composers would mind- we`re promoting their music!
grin.gif

lumzi23

Thanks for the responses and the tips. All the link I posted are quite legal so no worries there. Videogame music has certainly evolved. I wish I could show you some of the excellent work that has been coming out recently, it is really inspiring. Unfortunately, to hear most of it you have to buy the soundtracks or play the games. Not really a bad thing that means I can't show any of the particularly wonderful ones.

fourtone87

I actually prefer the music in battlefield vietnam over 1942, it catches the era perfectly. It reminds me of Vietnam movies which I love.

KBOC

I really liked the stuff produced by Iron Zur for Star Trek New Worlds.

The game wasn't all that great, but the music was excellent.

Can't seem to find it anymore
frown.gif

ApeXX

Banned
I actually prefer the music in battlefield vietnam over 1942, it catches the era perfectly. It reminds me of Vietnam movies which I love.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the battefield vietnam title song just a modified version of the original? Same thing with the new Battlefield 2. Sounds like a "modern" version of the original theme song.

Jules

I personally love the classical music used in Medal Of Honour, it has a great epic dimension and greatly enriches the game.

But computer game music isn't all about original compositions: Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and San Andreas all use commercial recordings and in the case of the latter, the use of Ganster Rap really ties well in with the setting of the game.

ApeXX

Banned
I personally love the classical music used in Medal Of Honour, it has a great epic dimension and greatly enriches the game.

But computer game music isn't all about original compositions: Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and San Andreas all use commercial recordings and in the case of the latter, the use of Ganster Rap really ties well in with the setting of the game.

They do use commercial recordings, however it ties in well with the game. I could not see anyone who plays those games, listening to recorded orchestra pieces.

It is just a different genre of game, and appeals to a different audience.

Jules

Actually, one of the radio stations in GTA3 is classical, playing opera...
I think that would count as seeing "anyone who plays those games, listening to recorded orchestra pieces."...

You can actually mow down innocent pedestrians while being chased by the cops to the tune of the "fat lady" singing. That ties in with the Italian-American thing going in that game...

ApeXX

Banned
I actually own the game, and did not know that. When I get home from work (At a hotel right now, typing through my BlackBerry) I will have to check it out. If there is a channel that plays classical, it still isn't the same calibre of the music played in either Call of Duty, or Battlefield 1942. (Both references mentioned earlier I believe.)

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
There are some games out there with great scores actually.
A favorite of mine is Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic. Very nice soundtrack and i believe John Williams was involved somehow.. im not sure exactly in what way.

Another game with great soundtrack is actually a pretty old game called LBA 2 (Or "Little Big Adventure 2" (The first one was awesome too but in my opinion the soundtrack was way better in the second game)) The soundtrack of this game was composed by Phil Vachey.

Many of my favorite game scores come from Blizzards games like Diablo, Diablo 2, World of Warcraft. Especially World of Warcraft.

And lets not forget about the Final Fantasy games. Their scores are composed by Nobuo Uematsu and i particulairly like the orchestrated versions. The ones that was played in live concert.

I could go on and on
smile.gif

Marek Michalak

I think the music from Warcraft 2 is really great. Always liked it very much. But games such as Myst and Zork Nemesis also have good soundtracks in my opinion.

There are probably more games even, I'm just not too familiar with games really
smile.gif

But it sure is a field where some talented composers can and do display their skills.

Colorful Mage

I really enjoy video game music.

And I did not know of that first remix the topic creator posted. It is indeed a beautiful remix. Thank you for sharing it with me, and I applaud Jeremy Soule for creating it.
clap.gif

Underscore

My favourite will always be the Final Fantasy series. I still want a fully orchestrated version of FFVII, it baffles me to think of why there isnt one yet (at least an official one, if someone knows a of fan version please point me into the right direction)

Recent games in which I have been impressed with are Morrowind (the main theme) and Civilization IV (fantastic ethnic style music from Christopher Tin).