Best Jazz Trombonist ever

Dorsetmike

Difficult one, depends to as certain extent on the genre, Kid Ory was great for trad/dixie
but Kai Winding, Bob Brookmeyer, Don Lusher for modern and of course George Chisholm could play anything, including the fool!

Do you prefer the big brassy exuberant style or the cool? I like a bit of both.

OLDUDE

Hi Mike,
I just love the lovely broad sound of a trombone.
It might just about be my favourite instrument.
I wonder how this thread seems to have diverged into two?

OLDUDE

teddy welcome,
you show excellent taste (I bet you love Louis as well),
Have you listened to "Misery and the Blues" with that other wonderful trumpeter - Don Goldie?
Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
john, thank you for the welcome. No, but I will try and listen to it. I liked the teagarden/ruby braff combination myself.
Can you or anyone else tell me what a particular peice of music was and where i can find it Cannonball adderley played at monterey in 1970 and was featured in "play misty for my" I believe he was playing a soprano sax at the time. Any help would be greatfully recieved.

OLDUDE

Hi Teddy,
Only reference to "Play Misty for Me" on Spotify was Clint Eastwood Movie Themes
I ran some checks on Spotify and came up with no version of "Misty" for Cannonball.
Nor were there any reference to Monterey 1970.
Subsequently I checked the DorsetMike ref and that gives your solution. "Screen capture of a scene of "PLAY MISTY FOR ME" When Cannonball plays the introduction of "THE COUNTRY PREACHER" at the MONTEREY JAZZ FESTIVAL/1970 ".
Thanks to Mike I think you have your answer. Only problem is how do you get hold of it?
Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
John

Thanks for the info. yes, thanks to Mike I tracked the album "Country Preacher" down through Amazon. Awiting delivery. Only CD not vinyl but you can't have everything.

Teddy

hardbop grandpop

when it comes to the trombone there is only one name and that is teagarden. someone should start a new thread the five best jack teagarden albums. gord

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Although the gent I know is a classical player non-pareil, Ben van Dijk on Bass and Contrabass Trombone shines with the best Jazzers.

OLDUDE

Welcome O. Des'

Try Jack Teagarden, J.J.Johnson. Kai Winding (All Slide) and Bob Brookmeyer (Valve)

Cheers John

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
I would also recommend J.J. Johnson and Curtis Fuller from some of the differing incarnations of the Jazz Messengers led by Art Blakey. They could really swing the music!