Hilarious advertisment ...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
As I travelled along Parramatta Road by bus, heading away from the city (Sydney), I happened to pass a "camping shop" that sells all manner of things outdoors: swags, eskys, camping gear and so forth. The shop's sign for their upcoming sale read:

Now is the winter of our discount tents

It made me snort with laughter.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Thanx for sharing about the advert CT64. The proprietor of that establishment must have a wry sense of humour.

marval

I liike it, very funny/clever, I bet when Shakespeare wrote Richard the third, he didn't know how it would be used.

Margaret

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Titus Andronicus in a film version conceived and directed by Julie Taymor will have your blood curdle. Shakespeare has never come across so gruesomely until I saw that film.

greatcyber

As I travelled along Parramatta Road by bus, heading away from the city (Sydney), I happened to pass a "camping shop" that sells all manner of things outdoors: swags, eskys, camping gear and so forth. The shop's sign for their upcoming sale read:

It made me snort with laughter.

That's my CT...ever the snorter:rolleyes:

Soubasse

It's possible that whomever wrote that may have heard of something similar (or they genuinely came up with it of their own volition). Over a decade ago, a friend of mine wrote from the UK and amongst many other things, told of an amusing sign he'd seen in a shop window in Stratford-Upon-Avon during an RSC season of King Lear. Like your encounter CT, it was a camping/sportsgood shop and the sign read:
"Now is the discount of our winter tents." :grin:

It made it into the local newspaper apparently.

Ah yes, Julie Taymor's "Titus" ... :eek::eek::eek:. You have to shake yourself quite a few times during it to remind yourself that it's the Bard, very gruesome realisation and very well cast.