Music schools in Los Angeles/Southern California?

SilverLuna

Hi everyone!!

I'm just curious if anyone knows if there are any great music schools (like Julliard in NYC) in LA/Southern CA area.

Thanks for your information!
~Silver

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I'm assuming you are wanting to continue your organ studies, so my reply is based upon that.

Having lived in Southern California for many years, a few major universities that had excellent music programs stood out above the rest:

I would be remiss on not mentioning our own University of Arizona here in Tucson. Again, an excellent organ department with a fine III/39 Schoenstein in Holsclaw Hall.

dll927

Having lived in LA County almost 40 years (no longer), I can say there are no Juliards or Eastmans around. Probably not even a Curtis. But there are many fine, and rather famous, organs in the area, and a good teacher can at least get things started.

This is not to say that there are not schools with organ instruction, and one has to start somewhere.

SilverLuna

Krummhorn- yeah, I want to get a Doctors' in Music (organ). I'm wondering southern CA because there's lots of really great organs there, Hazel Wright organ especilly. I also love being next to the ocean, and I've been in CA many times, and it seems like a place i might want to consider living when I'm older.

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out! Yeah, the Holsclaw Hall organ is really cool I've seen it a lot ^^

dll927- Yup, I really like the Hazel Wright organ at the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove. :)

Dorsetmike

Why not aim high?

[tongue in cheek]
There's always the Royal College of Music in London, just a few good organs about ;) RCM students cam get access to the Royal Albert Hall monster and Westminster Cathedral and some other organs outside the college. biggest organ in the college is a 3/34 plus some smaller 2 manual instruments. (most, if not all, mechanical action)

Professors include Dame Gillian Weir and Sophie-Veronique Cauchefer-Choplin, (Vice Titulaire St Sulpice.) Organ students recently had 6 days in Paris with masterclasses at St Sulpice. Other visits to Germany and Netherlands.
[/tongue in cheek] :rolleyes:

dll927

In order to work for a doctorate, you would obviously have to limit yourself to accredited schools. It's probably a matter of individual cases as to how tight-fisted various churches, etc., are about allowing students to practice on their instruments.

You mention Hazel Wright. Lately I've been hearing that the chief honcho's daughter is now the one calling the shots around there. One can always try.

It may be interesting to see what happens at the glass house once Shuller is no longer around at all. If D. James Kennedy's outfit is any example, look out!!