what was the first jazz album you ever bought?

hardbop grandpop

mine was eddie condon- jammin at condons -columbia,a great lp i still like 50 years later. my taste in jazz has changed a lot since then. lets hear what other fans first lp was. the hardbop grandpop

Dorsetmike

I remember my first 78, Dodo Marmarose probably bought around 1950, drove my father up the wall, he liked opera and romantic classics, (I still hate opera) first jazz LP probably Mary Lou Williams big band, had some other big bands as well, Lunceford and Elgart. Choice was a bit limited in the RAF in Cyprus so used to listen to Music USA on Voice of America, possibly why the big bands!.

OLDUDE

My very first was a George Shearing 78.
My first and second LPs were "Shorty Rogers Giants" and "The Modern Jazz Quartet (I think Django)".
That was from 60 years ago approx.

Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
Anyone who knows me will not be suprised that it was Jack Teagarden " T for Trombone" Still have it and recently bought a copy (vinyl) for an old friend I had not seen for 35 years who still hums tracks from it.

OLDUDE

As a keen Big "T" man myself I seem to have missed that one - I'll hunt Spotify.
My current favourite is "Misery and the Blues" which I fully recommend.

Cheers John

hardbop grandpop

t for trombone

john, t for trombone came out on the budget label society in the uk, it was originaly on urania in the usa.when i first saw who the band members were i just had to buy it. ruby braff-lucky thompson-sol yaged- sidney gross-kenny kersey-milt hinton -denzil best with teagarden on trombone and vocal. some critics at the time gave it poor reviews but ithought it was unusual and had a lot of charm. gord:cool:

teddy

Duckmeister
As a keen Big "T" man myself I seem to have missed that one - I'll hunt Spotify.

Cheers John

John
I got my copy from e-bay (on vinyl) . If you can't find it will will dig out the supplier for you.

Teddy

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Hot versus Cool a 10 inch vinal MGM I still have it

Dorsetmike

I had a 12" called Blow Hot Blow Cool when I was in the RAF in Cyprus, recently found a copy on Ebay, not quite as good as I thought, still liked the Marty Paich tracks tho.

teddy

Duckmeister

Cheers John

On your recommendation have just ordered M.and the blues. Can't wait.
Did you manage to find a copy of T for Trombone?

BR

Teddy

Povster

Mine was LOUIS ARMSTRONG - THE GREAT CHICAGO CONCERT 1956. Totally opened my ears to jazz. I got it somewhere in the early 1970's.