Faure: no need to answer!

Ouled Nails

Just fooling around!
But you really need not answer, really!!!

If you had to determine which of this composer's works are most lasting, most technically remarkable, most "scholarly" (given his reputation as a "salon" type of composer), what would they be?

I don't me the more popular ones, whicb Faure himself might have come to hate, such as his Pavane!

Faure was not a foremost orchestral composer, and he was not a most "conceptual" piano music composer.

But his chamber music.... That's where he gets my vote! Yes, the Requiem is a piece of work for those who have the "French" ear and don't go for the five-ton Germanic music. Nevertheless, chamber for me.

How about you?
(No need to answer that question, especially if you're from Denmark).

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi ON,

Hmmm, a challenging post for the forum - Now, where does that leave little 'ol me, who has a *french ear* and *goes for the five-ton germanic music*?

Yes, I know I'm a persnickety 'ol curmudgeon, which puts me out of the loop :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Fauré Requiem - A chamber work? Nawww, I must have read and understood wrongly.......

Corno Dolce

Blessed ON,

I dearly love chamber music with all the different types of instrumentation. If you dig the chamber music of Fauré then you must also appreciate the chamber music of Mozart, n'est-ce pas?

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Blessed ON,

I dearly love chamber music with all the different types of instrumentation. If you dig the chamber music of Fauré then you must also appreciate the chamber music of Mozart, n'est-ce pas?

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Well I do not disagree with you very often but Chamber is my favorite and I find a lot of WAM's music a bit staid :cool:

JHC

Brahms I am OK with and I look on Shostakovich with admiration, IMHO he took over from the Lord and master LvB

Corno Dolce

Yes indeed J.H.C.

Shostakovich was the LvB of the 20th Century. However, I find myself reevaluating my admiration for *Shosty* the more I discover and delve into the music of Havergal Brian. All the worlds focus was on Shosty for good reason but with the worlds laser-like focus on Shosty since he wrote such poignant, descriptive, and regime-critical music coupled with the suffering of the Russians at the hands of Stalin and his cronies, Havergal Brian worked on in obloquy and ignominy. He wrote 32 symphonies, among which *The Gothic* is so epic in scope and so masterful in its orchestration.

Being a passionate fan of Bruckner's and Mahler's music I sat bolt-upright upon hearing the majesty of Brian's music and for days I metaphysically wandered in a mistily beshrouded heather-covered moorland. My life became richer upon the discovery of Brian's music. Alright, now its time for me to end the convoluting of this thread with discussion about Havergal Brian.

JHC

Yes I did not mean to hi jack a thread and will delve into Brians music a little

rojo

(Ret)
Hi ON :)

I recently listened to his Dolly Suite for four hand piano. Absolutely lovely and charming. I've heard other piano works by him that were equally so. I'm not sure how the works stack up to his chamber music, as I'm not familiar with enough of them to judge.

That said, why needn't we answer? Of course we need answer! lol