• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Updating of Pipe Organ Resources

Thomas Dressler

I'm thinking about updating the Pipe Organ Resources posting on this forum. This will be a resource that is always evolving, as I certainly cannot pretend to know of every resource out there. I welcome any suggestions about what might be added to this list. If you have a suggestion, please write me privately and I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Thomas Dressler

Peter Rodwell

You may like to consider including the International Organ Foundation Web site: http://www.intorg.org

We have an online searchable database of over 3000 pipe organs in 49 countries world wide, which members of this list may find useful. The catalogue is constantly increasing at a rate that varies wildly according to how busy I am work-wise. List members are also invited to send in contributions for the catalogue - there's a page of instructions on how to do this. We also have an online international organ dictionary in 7 languages and other pages of pipe organ interest.

Peter.

Thomas Dressler

Hi Peter--I checked out your website. WOW that's an ambitious project! Have you seen the Organ Historical Society's online database of American organs? (http://organsociety.bsc.edu/) They've been working on this for years and it's still not completely accurate, even for the old organs. (I checked out the one I play on in Lambertville, NJ and had to correct the entries.) Is there a way you could link to this database or include it in yours? That would save you an awful lot of redundant work, at least on American organs.

At any rate, I think this is a good idea. I'm collecting ideas and waiting for a time when I can really sit for awhile and rework the resources page. Best wishes with your project!

Thomas Dressler

Peter Rodwell

Hi Thomas: Yes, I have seen the OHS database. There's no convenient way of linking it to our database, unfortunately, at least for the moment. I did have a page of links on my site some years ago but trying to keep it up to date was a non-trivial task. I do all this in my spare time and have to give priority to adding to the database, so I removed the page rather than bother people with a lot of useless links.

Peter.

harfo32

Hello Thomas. Is Organs and Organists online included in your database? A non commercial site with some 200 downloadable mp3's contributed by members from around the world. http://www.organsandorganistsonline.com/
Started just over a year ago, the site has attracted performances from Professional Organists and Recitalists such as David M Patrick, Aarnoud de Groen and Roger Fisher, Cathedral organists such as Mark Quarmby (Sydney) and Dr June Nixon (Melbourne)as well as younger players such as Jarle Fagerheim, Nick Russotto and Jon Kristian Fjellestad. The site includes sound files, Organs of Interest, Photo Galleries and articles and reviews. The site is updated weekly.
John Foss

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Organs and Organists Online went "offline" for awhile during transition of ownership. The revised url is: http://www.organsandorganistsonline.co.uk/ . The site is under construction under new ownership by Timothy Grenz from what I have gathered from emails received. Please note the url change.

[edit: 10-Aug-2007] Good news ... O.O. & O. is back online again :grin: The site is once again fully operational (see link above).

Last edited:

jerzy.nowicki

I know it may be a problem to understand our language. Anyway, there is a database of Polish organ. The url is: http://www.organy.art.pl/instrumenty.php
You'll see a list of instruments after selecting the city.

Most recently used words:
kościół - church
katedra - cathedral
akademia muzyczna - music academy
kaplica - chapel

Albert

Good idea!

I'm thinking about updating the Pipe Organ Resources posting on this forum. This will be a resource that is always evolving, as I certainly cannot pretend to know of every resource out there. I welcome any suggestions about what might be added to this list. If you have a suggestion, please write me privately and I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Thomas Dressler

Wow! You are a bear for punishment!

I will offer what little assistance I can to you. I am a database programmer, so I might be able to come up with a system for you that will allow you to set things up to the point of writing out basic web pages.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
jerzy - thanks for the link - I've book marked it ... I could get any of the organs (except ironically Australian ones) to come up.

jerzy.nowicki

I know, brilliant idea. But... it is not simple. They have to rebuild all the website structure.
Anyway, pictures and stops are the same for all of us, I belive ;-)

There is one more recent word:
parafia - parish

methodistgirl

I would rather that the pipe organ resources stayed the same. I like it
like it is. Excuse my grammar on that!:grin:
judy tooley

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
As I have no Polish it was difficult to navigate around ... keeping it the way it is is all very well, but if they want to attract an international audience, and an interest in people visiting Poland to see organs (for example) then an English version is almost mandatory. Most European websites offer both.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Beautiful looking sanctuary, CT. I bet the acoustics are quite grand also.

So, where does the choir sit/stand when doing anthems? Seems like it would require an assistant to watch the director and transmit the same direction to the organist.

methodistgirl

Thanks... my grammas is also not too good, so don't worry ;-)
The organ You've seen is not in "my" church. My friend needs help in "his" church sometimes. You can read more here: http://www.organy.art.pl/instrumenty.php?instr_id=881
I may try to translate it a little if you want.
BTW. do you have any picture of your organ?
Yes I do! Look at the avatar under my name of the methodist church
I go to and look up my profile!;)
judy tooley

quasimodo1

J.S. Bach

Being a new member, forgive the intrusion into your conversation. Basically, I'm interested in sources relating to Mr. Bach's Tocatta Fuge. Any links or references would be appreciated.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi quasimodo1 ... and Welcome to MIMF :wave:

Ask and you shall receive ... check out this internal thread of the site owner, Sir Frederik Magle, playing the Bach Toccata & Fugue an famous organ.