the greengrocer's apostrophe

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Well, long ago when I was but a lad, English was taught in schools and grammar was an important part of that language acquiring process.

Nowadays, they are (I hear) going back to the formal teaching of grammar and syntax. Probably because a generation of dullards came out of the education system in New South Wales with no idea of written English. On the whole, I'd say their spoken English was moderately acceptable.

One of the teachers at the College was mentioning her difficulty in teaching the apostrophe and its correct use.

I stumbled across the delightful term "Greengrocer's apostrophe" because a lot of fruitiers here have signs that say "apple's $2 a kilo", or "iceberg lettuce's $1 each".

Nevertheless, when I learned the apostrophe in written English I learned about genitive case (boring) and possessive case (even more boring). I still find teaching by example must be the only solution. Else, you waste your life defining "genitive" and "possessive". Any ideas?

marval

Hi CT

There are so many occasions where the apostrophe is not used properly. I remember being taught the proper use at school, but we are talking about a very long time ago.

I agree that teaching by example is a good way, too many young people nowadays don't take any notice of punctuation.

Margaret

teddy

Duckmeister
I was lucky enough to be ginen a copy of Eats, Shoots, and Leaves a few years ago. A book purely about punctuation which became a best seller. Lynne Truss went on to write Talk to the Hand concering modern manners. Equally readable and entertaining.

teddy

Dorsetmike

Have you read the parody , Eats, Shites & leaves, subtitled "crap English and how to use it"

Some examples

Mixing bowl set designed to please a cook with round bottom for efficient beating.

Don't let your worries kill you, let the chuirch help.

When stars are out they can be seen, when light are out they can not be seen

Why does a house go up in flames when it is burning down?

Dorsetmike

A few more extracts, some shop window notices

Open 7 days a week including weekends

Wonderful bargains for men with 16 and 17 necks

Semi annual after Christmas sale

For Sale: Antique desk for lady with thick legs and large drawers

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
A few more extracts, some shop window notices

Open 7 days a week including weekends

Wonderful bargains for men with 16 and 17 necks

Semi annual after Christmas sale