Classical music on Clavinet

Teo

Hello and harmony,

I got quite charged when I replied to Rune Vejby's question about electronic music. It made me think a lot, and I am still thinking about it all. Great topic Mr. Vejby! I hope people understand that I am allowed to have an opinion, and I'm not trying to be mean, whatever I type in these little boxes - I think discussion forums are great to "get out" things and thinks!
crazy.gif

I first plaed on Peter Tork's clavinet when I was 15 and took lessons from him. I remember so fondly buying a wah-wah and started squonking all manner of creative mayhem...
smirk.gif
Later I fully thought it an art form, Herbie Hancock, George Duke (both jazz geniuses) have excellent clav-wah techniques, and Bernie Worrell who was the brains behind much of Parlaiment-Funkadelic's musical contributions - and a classical music protogy - well he did amazing stuff on it, even including distortion tones! Anyway, I ramble...

Nowadays I am thoroughly enjoying learning Franz Liszt, Chopin and other masters of composition. I like to think I "stay in context" and found that playing classical on the clavinet feels and sounds about right!
grin.gif

Here is a link to German Dance by Shubert that I did on my Yamaha PSR 520's clavinet tone. I simply recorded it for myself a few weeks ago, then recently realized I could record it on the PC and whala, mp3 file for sharing! You may notice that I turned on reverb after the first verse..

What do you think? Does it sound "traditional?" ENJOY!

http://givnology.com/groupee/forums/a/ga/ul/6251026151/germandance01.mp3

Love and light being, Teo Do (Re, Mi, Fa...)
whistling2.gif
whistling2.gif

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
Hi Teo!

You are of course entitled to state your opinion - that is the whole idea of this forum!
And I am glad that my post aspired some thoughts!

I have just been listening to your "interpretation" of the German Dance and could'nt help smiling a bit
smile.gif
The sound is indeed traditional, but at the same time the music is very much alive and deep! I like the choice of instrument and I hope you will make some more attempts within this style!!!

Byt the way, if you wish to have your music reviewed you should make a post in the "Music & Web Site Reviews" forum on this site. I decided not to move this post as it is somewhat related to our discussion about electronic music.

Teo

Thanks googols Rune! I used to get applause from live people, but in some strange way a nice word from you, typing in little boxes on the computer, is just as good!

Like I said before I have de-de-evolved from electronic music back to appreciating the piano and instrumental music. Now I am playing a Bach piece, and when I use the harpsichord tone, I get the added advantage that I can use a sustain pedal, there is no such thing on a real harpsichord!

I used to use 2 foot pedals, one sustain and the other "modulation" on my DX-100s (haven't played them in over a year!) well, now that I am really making every effort to be a fine pianist, I find I use the damper pedal most of the time, and un-press it for volume (and more strings are plucked), then I have always used a good amount of sustain... now my feet feel like they are getting as good of a workout as before with the two electric pedals!

And... I am still wondering about that 3rd pedal there... the middle one. Oh brother! I shouldn't even open that door.. but I think it sustains "what is already down" so left hand 2 octave jumps the first root note can sustain without sustaining notes in the right hand.. jeepers.. this piano continues to impress me as the greatest invention us humans have ever made!

I really appreciate your reply here, and will definitely go into the other forum and c wat folks tink...

Harmony and joyful resolutions, Teo Do (Re, Mi, Fa...)
wink.gif
wink.gif

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
Hi Teo,

Thanks you for appreciating the feedback
smile.gif

I hope you will countinue posting on this forum and good luck with the composition...