log on delay

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
The past couple of days it has taken forever to log onto the site I don't know the cause, my isp or the site overloading??

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Load averages should be just less than 3.00 ... at this moment with 74 guests and 6 members online, our load average for the last 15 minutes is 0.08 - which is quite nominal. :up:

My response time logging in seemed normal at this moment.
Just checked my DSL connection speed (speedtest.net) @ 12 MB down and 875 KB up.

JHC

Mine has settled and now OK, it must be my ISP cause the bit between PC and chair is slightly erratic but that is normal

JHC

Yeh, I live in the country side and have BB but there are too many people on it and at times it just about grinds to a halt particularly when school finishes

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
You just can't trust those guinea pigs in the running wheels will generate enough electricity in country N.Z., eh bro? (with thuck Niu Ziln accent)

teddy

Duckmeister
We are a bit away from the exchange and a good rate is roughly 2.75 MB. A little better at the office.

When it is busy in the evening you would sometimes think it was snail mail.

regards

teddy

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Blessed Krummhorn,

When I log out of MIMF and then log on awhile later it takes three attempts with member name and password before I can access the Forum for posting. Any ideas on how to resolve this situation?

Respectfully yours,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Dorsetmike

I use Firefox as my browser and that stores my usernames and passwords for different forums and other sites I use regularly.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
We tend to use Hamsters over here, has anybody done a study on the relative wheel performances of the two species?

Some studies show that guinea pigs can generate up to 1.75 ampere more than hamsters. But then again you have to remember about the energy loss depending on what kind of wires are being used to connect the animal to the PC.

marval

I have had no problems whatsoever, I have wireless broadband and it takes me straight in.

Sorry folks, lucky old me.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Blessed Krummhorn,

When I log out of MIMF and then log on awhile later it takes three attempts with member name and password before I can access the Forum for posting. Any ideas on how to resolve this situation?

Respectfully yours,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Yo, CD :wave:

I'm thinking it might be more related to your ISP ... did you ever have this problem before your last move? I always get on here the very first try everytime ... the server does not give any preferential treatment to those of us with admin rights. I've heard of instances where Frederik has had delays in getting logged on, and he lives within 50 miles of where the physical server is located.

There were times when I was forced to use Cox Cable (due to a stupid monopoly contract with the city in which I live) that I had connectivity issues, creepy crawly s-l-o-w internet connections, dropped service and the like. I bailed with Cox when Qwest installed FOX lines in my neighborhood ... my DSL connection is three times faster than Cox's cable.

I use Firefox as my browser and that stores my usernames and passwords for different forums and other sites I use regularly.

I too, also exclusively use Firefox ... the feature for storing login information is very handy, and I can manage them quite nicely from within the browser.
I also routinely change all my passwords on the sites I frequent at least once every 90 days. It's a pain in the wazoo, but it just makes good sense to me. I also keep all ports on my firewall closed except for those that are absolutely necessary. If I haven't "authorized" the use of a particular port, the intruder simply doesn't get in.

JHC

So does IE, but I do find Firefox a bit quicker, one to keep clear of is Google Chrome I had a lot of problems with it but it was the fastest yet

JHC

I also routinely change all my passwords on the sites I frequent at least once every 90 days. It's a pain in the wazoo, but it just makes good sense to me. I also keep all ports on my firewall closed except for those that are absolutely necessary. If I haven't "authorized" the use of a particular port, the intruder simply doesn't get in.
I never change my p/w in fact I use the same one for about 90% of sites, it's only when a site won't accept it that I change, but then I am the only one using the PC, I changed from Norton to McAfee and have absolutely no problems with security etc

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Blessed Krummhorn :wave::wave::wave:,

Yes, I had this problem before I moved but I never really gave it much of a second thought. I'll give a holler to my ISP. Net service in Moscow City is Fiber Optic and hyperfast - Yeowsa!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat: