Trumpeters

teddy

Duckmeister
The first trumpet player I was aware of as an entity was Sachmo. Maybe he deserves the title of the greatest, not least because of his personality, sense of humour and ability as a singer. Ruby Braff comes a close second. His pairing with Jack Teagarden really set me on the road to the appreciation of jazz. Up to then it had been blues and negro spititulist. I have to admit that although I have a love for most genre of music the trumpet/cornett and guitar have an ability to reach parts of my bits that other things can not reach ( except maybe alchol.) The soul can ache with the right sort of music at the right time.
Who is your favourite horn player?

teddy

hardbop grandpop

hi teddy, i think satchmo was the greatest trumpet of them all.despite the dizzy gillespie album title. he was the beginning of jazz as we know it today. the hot fives and sevens are classics. even though i think louis is the greatest, my favorite is wild bill davison. gord

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Chuck Mangione plays a *smooth horn* and therefore gets first place in my book. Of course, the Fluegelhorn contributes to the *CoolSmooth* aura........

hardbop grandpop

i am surprised at the lack of response to this thread because there are so many great trumpet players. afew that come to mind are diz, ruby braff, hackett, chris botti, fats, clifford, bunny and bix. gord

OLDUDE

OK Gord since you ask, here are others from my own collection not previously mentioned.
Chet Baker; Kenny Ball; Terence Blanchard; Buck Clayton; Miles Davis; Roy Eldridge; Nat Gonella; Harry James; Humphrey Lyttelton; Wynton Marsalis; Red Nichols; King Oliver; Randy Sandke; Warren Vache

Can anyone bring to mind any others not mentioned previously in this thread?

hardbop grandpop

hi john, i think kenny ball is an excellant trumpet player.if any one doubts this, try listening to blue turning grey over you, on the midnight in moscow album. gord

John Watt

teddy! yeah... I love playing guitar, reaching into me where nothing else has.
So when you say trumpeter to me, that's asking more for a general entertainment overview.
The first image that comes to mind is Kirk Douglas, standing beside the curb,
seeing his trumpet he just got back in a paper bag, run over by a car.
That's almost tied with Frank Sinatra in The Man with the Golden Arm.
You can imagine how dramatic these movies were to me as a youth.

That's the imagery I've always associated with trumpets, the jazz pain,
the sound from a fire escape coming down a wide alley into the street.
That, and lip pain and headaches, when I tried to play high notes on trumpet.

My most recent trumpet encounter was at a friend's apartment studio,
where he some new synthesizer from Italy that cost over $20,000.
It had three choices for Miles Davis, and with my friends monitor system,
it sounded like he was blowing over my shoulder. Incredible!
Mind you, it's nice to have a great Hammond B3 solo sensibility to make it all work.

teddy

Duckmeister
John

Interesting thoughts. I have never tried a brass instrument myself, but I like the idea if a synthesiszer, if it really can sound as good.

teddy

John Watt

I was a full time lead guitarist before synthesizers made it big onstage,
seeing as them as upstaging me and my wild effects, permanently.
So if I'm saying a synth sounds like something, it really does.

I know, a synthesizer with three Miles Davis settings.... and that's without options.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Hmmm, brass players are a breed of their own, aren't they? I remember reading Sir Thomas Beecham saying to a young conductor he was mentoring "Don't look at the trombones, it only encourages them ..."

OLDUDE

I rate Louis top as a trumpeter and have many more I greatly appreciate.
Two who have come relatively late to my attention are Warren Vaché and
Randy Sandke.
Have any of you listened to these guys? If so what do you think?

Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
Just been listening to Randy Sandke on spotify. The man palys a mean horn, as they say. Particularly liked his intepretation of Summertime. He really drags the music out of his trumpet. Also Georgia and Basin Street Blues.

teddy

OLDUDE

Hi teddy,
Glad you got around to Randy S.
Dont forget Warren Vaché, his cornet sounds great and brother Allan sounds like a young Benny Goodman on clarinet.
Aint Spotify great?

teddy

Duckmeister
Anyone know if there are any recording of Spike Milligan playing jazz in existence. He was recond to be a competent trmpet player

teddy

hardbop grandpop

there are so many great trumpet players it is easy to over look a great player like marsalis and others,fats navarro, billy butterfield and cootie williams come to mind. gord

OLDUDE

Regarding Wynton Marsalis - I referred him on Jul 4th but I must admit he isnt a real favourite of mine
Cheers John

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Favorite Trumpeters

Hi Teddy and how are you doing? I just saw your thread on trumpeters. Of late, I have been listening to a lot of Lee Morgan's work, both as a member of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and as a leader own groups. I would also nominate Miles Davis, for his efforts on "Kind of Blue", "Sketches of Spain" and "Miles Smiles" (with the incomparable Wayne Shorter on tenor sax). If I could add one more horn player who has become a real favorite of mine it would be Donald Byrd, especially his work on the "Fuego" album. Not only are all these men consummate individual performers, they also composed some really evocative and intriguing pieces. Are you familiar with any of them? If so, what is your opinion? Love to hear from ya: Best Regards, White Knight :)