Australia has it's first female prime minister

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Blessed CT64,

My wife and I read the article and my wife huffed: *Does the new Prime Minister have competence or was she just vaulted into the Prime Minister chair because she's a woman*?

Cordially yours,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Corno, please stop using blessed when you address me, I'm an athiest and your blessings (as well meaning and repetitive as they are) are irrelevant.

In answer to your question, she's very competent and was at Rudd's side when he was elected as his deputy. Her succession has nothing to do with her gender.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I think the election of a female into this type of office is absolutely wonderful. Too many times we stereotype these positions thinking only a man can best serve in whatever capacity.

Congratulations, Julia ... and all the best to you as you embark on this endeavor.

greatcyber

Hip Hip

:tiphat:Here, here. It's all good and about time. Now if some other countries would follow suit and elect female leaders. Hmmmm.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
It's about time Canada pulled her head in and got a female P.M. too, don't you think Stephen?

I say "Vale Kevin Rudd ... Ave Julia Gillard".

It's interesting our country is entirely run by women:

Queen Elizabeth II, the Governor-General of Australia, the Governor-General of NSW (where I live) and now, Julia Gillard, the honourable Prime Minister of Australia ... yay to the left faction of the Labour party, you go girl!

Montefalco

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the election later this year. Apparently Kevin Rudd is still going to run in it.

teddy

Duckmeister
My biggest concern in these PC days, which was initially started by Blair in this country, is that we end up with a woman because she is a woman, not because she is good at her job. I believe Margaret Thatcher was one of the greatest PMs we have had. But that was because she was Margaret Thatcher, not just because she was female. A young client, who would have made an excellent fireman, was turned down. He was subsequently told that they were currently only taking on women and homosexuals. Lets have only people who are good at their jobs, whatever their pursuasions.

teddy

Corno Dolce

My wife questions not the gender of the new Oz PM's but the competency of the PM. Lets not have this thread devolve into a discussion about gender.

teddy

Duckmeister
My stance on this is that too many people are choosen not for their competence to do a job but for other reasons, which should be completely irrelevant. I believe my concerns are exactly the same as your wifes CD

teddy

greatcyber

I do feel that it would be nice to have a female PM, but I agree with everyone else that it should be only to one well qualified. I think it is a safe bet to say that Margaret Thatcher was an incredible woman who was quite a skilled "statesman" and several others have proven that gender really has little to do with ability in most arenas.

It's amazing, really, to think that so much of the world still clings to the thought that women are somehow less than men.

And the world goes round and round...in any event. :)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Margaret - she has been acting PM many times as she is, or was, the deputy PM. I think, regardless of the fact that she's a sheila, she is the right person for the job.

Corno Dolce

CT64,

If I have touched a raw nerve for you let me then apologise for causing you such distress.

Cordially,

CD

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
We had a woman PM for 3 terms (Helen Clarke) a very intelligent Lady she saved our Classical music Radio station and has now a position with the UN, alas now we have a wealthy money mover in charge who has take his first steps in making the rich richer and the poor poorer Grrrrrrr, Good luck to Aussie I hope she is strong. 99% of politicians are in it for themselves

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Colin you also had John Howard's twin sister as your PM too, she was a horror: Jenny Shipley.
She was ghastly:crazy: but she got in by default, Helen was actually elected and sure you can't please everyone but in my books Helen did a good job I hope Gillard lives up to expectations. :)

rojo

(Ret)
A woman Prime Minister of Australia? Nothing wrong with that! :grin:

David, Canada has already had a female PM; Kim Campbell in 1993. She did do some good things during her short time as PM, but 'stuff' happened and she lost the position in a subsequent election. She didn't really get much of a chance to prove herself. Maybe another woman would be refreshing as PM of Canada, perhaps in the not-too-distant future? Could happen again...