When ........

Dorsetmike

Does a stamp collector become a philatelist?

When they get a perforation gauge, or watermark detector or catalogue?

Or any combination of the above?

Discuss ........

methodistgirl

No. I was wondering how I could become a compulsive
neat freak. I need to get out of the rut I'm in without
being one.
judy tooley

marval

Interesting question to which I don't know the answer. I seem to remember my brother collecting stamps, but I don't think he was considered a philatelist.

I am sure you are not a freak of any kind Judy. I chat on the internet does that make me a net freak?

Margaret

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
OK, here I go again, what is a "neat" why do I do this ???

Dorsetmike

Don't quite see the connection between neat and clean I would have thought tidyness would be more accurate.

Things can often be described as neat and tidy, I don't recall neat and clean being in common usage.

teddy

Duckmeister
Mike
Not knowing much about stamp collectiong I am not sure where you would draw the line there, but I know I started to worry abount myself when I found I was discussing output resistors instead of music with my hi fi buddies.

teddy

JHC

I still can't connect "neat freaks" with philatelist, I must be thick

JHC

but I know I started to worry abount myself when I found I was discussing output resistors instead of music with my hi fi buddies.

teddy
Teddy what is your Hi Fi system, tell me yours and I'll tell you mine:cool:

teddy

Duckmeister
Apologies Colin. I meant to reply to you some time ago and.........

The setup I have at the moment is Technics. Deck, amp and CD changer. I also have a pair of old Panasonic speakers. Three way plus bass porting. I like the sound and would have to spend several hundred pounds to better them. I have also been assured that despite the label they were made in Britain, possibly by Leak. I bought this when having finished building the extension to my cottage I found that the amp (a NAD) was so full of plaster dust it was not worth keeping. I also had a Lenco deck which I had no trouble selling. It is not the system I would have had as first choice but as I am the only one who regularly uses it I felt it was a good compromise, not wishing to spend more on something which only I really enjoy. As my wife does not enjoy the music I do be it classical, jazz rock or pop not to mention Cuban or Jamacian it does not get used that often.
Look forward to hearing about yours.

teddy

Dorsetmike

I've got Technics too, the SL-DL1 transcription deck, receiver, cassete and CD players driving a pair of KEFs. Linked to the PC so I can copy Vinyl or Cassette to Hard disc to burn to CD, or so that I can play Last.fm through it.

Wish I still had my original pair of KEFKIT 3s. You bought the front panel with speakers and crossovers mounted, they also supplied acoustic wadding and built your own enclosure to the dimensions they provided, IIRC about 30"x18"x18" in those days (mid 70s) I had a Goodmans module 90, a real window rattling set up. I worked for Plessey who owned Garrard so was able to get one of the belt drive Zero 100 decks, "cosmetic second" for peanuts, still got it, coupled to a Pioneer set.

teddy

Duckmeister
Mike
My deck is SG SERVO SLBD22D. I used to have a Goodmans tuner/amp with a valve bass end but I changed it for the NAD because it used to come in with such a bang I feared for my speaker cones. I suppose I could have designed a smoothing circuit for it but I never seemed to have time. I envy you the KEFs. Lovely speakers. The dimensions are about the same as my Pioneers and I find with the bass porting they will handle just about any sort of music without any of the top end brightness that a lot of Japanese speakers seemed to suffer from.

teddy

JHC

teddy and Mike
Teddy you have had a rough time, get it sorted :D:D

This is my HiFi set up as you will note all separates, in custom made cabinet with Louvre doors.
It is all old stuff now but still gives good results
From top right clockwise Technics CD player this is now my weak link being about 20 yrs old and beginning to be a bit temperamental but it has been a solid workhorse and no complaints, below this a Technics TT sitting on top of a Carver C1 pre amp,
Below this a Audiolab Tuner again about 20 yrs old, I do not use this now as FM coverage is about zilch where I live so have to rely on Sky and Internet Radio. To the immediate left is a Plinius SA-100 class A amplifier made in NZ and is acclaimed the world over for value for dollar, above this is a Sony Tape deck with dolby B,C and S
This of course was purchased before I entered the computer world and recorded my own CDs, I use KEF 104 ref speakers. Below all of this are a few of my old LPs and my Sennheiser head phones and accumulated junk
063.jpg