Inspections.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Hey Judy,

These only happen here (Australia) if you are living in rental accommodation, and generally they happen when you are moving out. Lets the landlord/owner see that you haven't trashed the place ... does this help?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
In my community, we have a very pro-active HOA which checks, per the CC&R's, all exterior parts of the townhomes. Gates and garage doors must be in proper repair and painted a certain colour, rear patio roofs must be kept in good condition, and that includes the rain gutters, too.

The only "in home" inspection occurs when a resident here sells their townhome.

Apartment complexes in this region also perform two inspections when they are rented out:

1. A walk through inspection with the landlord/agent with the renter at which time the renter can point out any damages that are pre-existing.
  2. A final walk through inspection with the landlord/agent with the renter after they have moved out and before any deposits are returned to the renter.
Any landlord can, with due cause, inspect a rented apartment at any time if they feel their property is being deliberately damaged in any way, or where activities inside the apartment may affect others health and/or safety.

marval

Here in the UK it is the same as Australia. If you rent a property then the council or landlord can inspect, but usually only when you are leaving.

Margaret

dll927

Townhomes or condominiums operate under a homeowners' association which is responsible for upkeep of the exterior of the buildings and landscaping/gardening. It also takes care of insurance on the property. The individual owner is responsible for maintenance of the interior of the dwelling unit. Changes can be made as long as they don't disturb the integrity of the building.

I've lived in two condos, and since I'm not much of a gardening type, I'd rather pay the association than have the worry myself.

teddy

Duckmeister
Being a landlord (house rental) I have to ensure that an inspection of any gas appliances is carried out every year by a qualified person, for safety reasons.

teddy

dll927

If I had all the rice in China, I think I would still stay away from owning property to rent to other people. I've seen too many cases of deliberate damage and trashing of dwellings to have the idea interest me.

I have known a couple of people who did very well at the enterprise, but they kept their eyes on what was going on just about all the time. Maybe that works, but the idea still doesn't fit my ambitions.

teddy

Duckmeister
You need a proffesional approach, which is often lacking. 1 Employ a good agent who will arrange references. 2 Make sure the guarentors are home owners. 3 Have landlords indemnity insurance which will pay the rent, arrange eviction and cover the cost of any damage if needs be. 4 Do not let your heart rule your head. The vast majority of cases where there are problems have been because these steps where not taken. All these things cost money but are tax deductable anyway. Like any business things can go wrong but the name of the game in any business is minimise the risks.
teddy

marval

A friend of ours who used to own the semi next door, rented to so-called friends. He had no end of trouble, he ended up selling it. All I can say is come back all is forgiven, after all the noise and trouble we have with the people living there.

Margaret

teddy

Duckmeister
Renting to friends or relatives is one of the biggest mistakes people make. It is an absolute no no.

teddy

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
If I had all the rice in China, I think I would still stay away from owning property to rent to other people. I've seen too many cases of deliberate damage and trashing of dwellings to have the idea interest me.

I have known a couple of people who did very well at the enterprise, but they kept their eyes on what was going on just about all the time. Maybe that works, but the idea still doesn't fit my ambitions.

Wise words my friend - I own a small two bedroom unit (condo/apartment) and I'd certain sell it before putting it out to rent. Far too many ferals out there who don't respect property.

teddy

Duckmeister
Wise words my friend - I own a small two bedroom unit (condo/apartment) and I'd certain sell it before putting it out to rent. Far too many ferals out there who don't respect property.

The answer is, don't rent out to ferals. You do not have to. There are plenty of good tenants out there. One of our family houses was rented out to the same couple for 60 years. Perfect tenants. I am sure there are forum members amoung us who are tenants and who you would be more than happy to live next door to.

regards

teddy