• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Maestro Daniel Roth At Wanamaker

Soubasse

Great find CD, looks relatively recent too. Mr Roth is thoroughly inspirational, and it's interesting that at least two of the titulaires of S. Sulpice have graced the Wanamaker with their genius. What is it about the French organists and their ability to cultivate a brain in each limb??

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Soubasse,

Not only in each limb but also in each finger :eek::eek::eek:

Daniel Roth and Olivier Latry seem to lead the pack - Just so absolutely phenomenal.............

Might you be *plugging in*(learning to play) some more organ works by Alain these days?

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Soubasse

1000% in agreeance with your opinion of Messrs Roth et Latry, even shaking hands with them and standing next to them to watch them play felt like an inestimable privilege.

Re Alain, yes seeing as how it's his 100th birthday next year, I will be preparing a programme, so I've already had to get started. I've decided for reasons of both discipline and technique that I need the hassle of properly completing Trois Danses. Will probably resurrect the Fantaisies as well. There's even a possibility of making a pilgrimage to a certain instrument in Romainmotier next year - will have to wait and see.

dll927

Gee, the guy even knows how to use pistons -- something Cavaille-Coll forgot to include!!

I understand that organ has a vast string section, and he seems to make use of it quite nicely. It does seem a bit odd that the manuals all seem to sound about the same.

Does anyone know about when these were done? If he were to write down all of his improvisations, they would take up a large volume of paper. And it would be interesting to get his take on how it feels to play that organ in contrast to S. Sulpice, especially the ability to change stops so much more easily.

Soubasse

:grin::grin: Thanks for the offer David but unfortunately, we may also have about 70 school kids in tow. But there's no way if I end up going on the tour that I'm NOT finding my way to the Alain organ in Switzerland!!

Dll, it's surprisingly uncomplicated to change registrations at Saint Sulpice. Maestro Roth demonstrated it on my visit there and I was amazed at the efficiency of the system (not to mention the age of it!). As for comparisons to the Wanamaker, well it has one extra manual, they're raked not flat, it has a few (a few hundred??) more stops ... other than that, they're pretty similar really :D ...
Hang on ... one of them is a Cavaille-Coll ... there's no comparison!!:grin:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi dll,

Well, for what it is worth, Peter Richard Conte being the artist-at-large on the Wanamaker, he can bring forth sounds that Daniel Roth has yet to discover, but give Maestro Roth unfettered access to the Wanamaker for awhile and he'll dazzle anyone and everyone. St. Sulpice is a Romantic instrument with Classical restraint. The Wanamaker however is a full-bore *ultra hyper-symphonic* organ - The two could not be any more different. Almost an unfair comparison in my book........

dll927

From what I've read, the S. Sulpice organ has a drawknob for each division that can set a combination for later. But I gather this can only be done once. I've never seen Roth using "regisrants" at the sides to change stops, so there must be some things sort of unique about that organ, even compared to other C-C organs.

That drawknob system is explained in some descriptions of the organ. It apparently has to be done before starting to play a piece, as you have to set the second combination, then pull that drawknob when needed. Still not as easy to deal with as pistons that can set various combinations.

But when all is said and done, that organ has lived through several well-known organists, so it must have its advantages. And I dare say it's a "prestigeous" position around town.