Some of Douglas Adams' work

Dorsetmike

He who wrote the Hitch hikers guide, also wrote this along with John Lloyd.

"The meaning of Liff"

Gives fictitious meanings to some placenames (mainly Btitish villages)

http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html

I particularly liked Adlestrop, Affcot, Affpuddle, Ainsworth and Tincleton.

Bookmark it amd browse a few each day!

teddy

Duckmeister
Very good Mike. Incidentially Aberystwyth is just across the estuary from Aberdyfi

teddy

Dorsetmike

I also had a chuckle at Glenwhilly, and Botusfleming doesn't bear thinking about, nor does Minchinhampton come to that ;)

methodistgirl

I read his Hitchiker to the Galaxy books. They were so
comical to read. Unlike all the other Sci fi books on the
market with blood and guts in them except for Star Trek
books.
judy tooley

Soubasse

Douglas Adams was by far one of the cleverest humourists of our time. He was quite a forward thinker too. He died far, far too soon.

As well as the Hitch-Hikers Guide and the Dirk Gently novels, I found the original radio scripts of the Hitch-Hikers Guide to be a cracking good read because of his detailed annotations on each episode. It's a fantastic insight into the workings of his marvellous mind.

teddy

Duckmeister
The television adaption was also excellent, being faithful to the original. Unfortunately the film they made a couple of years ago lost its way somewhat. You should ba able buy the TV series on video (or CD). Worth watching if you are a fan.

teddy

Soubasse

I actually enjoyed the TV adaptation far more than I thought I would. My expectations were high after the radio series, then the books, and then the LPs, but it was a decent visual take on things that seemed beyond imagining (for the 80s anyway). The movie ... well, yes it had its moments but there were quite a few things missing.