• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Olde Englishe organs

Dorsetmike

Just discovered that the National pipe organ register also has some sound files recorded on various historic instruments of music by some of the lesser known English composers.

Try this one for starters

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/NPaudio.cgi?Fn=FlashPlay&rec_index=N01293&Code=3&No=5

For detail of the organ and other pieces played on it

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N01293

Detail of the sound archive project

http://www.npor.org.uk/hosa_info.shtml

The John Stanley piece was originally written for keyboard and strings; to hear samples of the work with strings click on the tracks highlighted in red on this site --

http://www.baroquemusiclibrary.com/01Web.html

I'll have a browse through more of these and see what other gems I can find.

Dorsetmike

My browsing today found these

My favourite of the day, (a work I had a go at on GrandOrgue might be interesting to attempt a VPO reconstruction of the instrument, Panos?)

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/NPaudio.cgi?Fn=FlashPlay&rec_index=N04410&Code=3&No=2

on this organ

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N04410

-------------------------------------------------

A composer I don't think I've heard before

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/NPaudio.cgi?Fn=FlashPlay&rec_index=D06912&Code=3&No=4

on this organ

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?F
n=Rsearch&rec_index=D06912

-----------------------------------------------
Something a little better known

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/NPaudio.cgi?Fn=FlashPlay&rec_index=N06410&Code=3&No=6

On this 1900 Willis

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N06410

teddy

Duckmeister
Thanks for the links Mike. I have to admit something unexpected has been happening to me since I joined this forum. I have found an interest in organs and their music.

teddy

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I hate to criticise this thread BUT the national pipe organ register is NOT user friendly. It really needs a rethink.

Soubasse

I'd certainly prefer to see more names rather than "catalogue numbers." More photos would be nice too. I guess we've been a little spoiled down here with OHTA's somewhat fastidious attention to detail on their site. Mind you, I don't envy the task of archiving every instrument in the UK, given how long some of them have been around!

Thanks for the links Mike, I'm enjoying them even though some of the Flash links are painfully slow to load (but it does have a long way to come!). I'm sure I've seen some Samuel Long pieces in some collections (possibly the "Old English Organ Music for Manuals" books or such like). I will confess to a fondness for the sounds of an old Willis organ, managed to play one when in the UK. However, the most fun I had there was 3 hours on a Saturday evening on the magnificent Harrison & Harrison in Durham Cathedral.

Nicholson have also made some lovely instruments.

Walker of course ...

sigh, memories :)

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret)
OK guys this is a great Link ! Thanks Mike!
I've been in Durham in 1980, great Cathedral, but I like Ely better too !

VPO RECONSTRUCTION - YES ! great idea.

As we are now I can give you in a couple of days a jOrgan v.310 disposition of Russell St.Clement Organ. I have samples (from other English organs) of almost every stop it has except this Hautboy 8' stop. What is it? It's a reed stop? How it sounds? Is there an alternative I can use instead? Some work needed with Viena editor to split stopped diapasson 8' in Bass/treble (like the Italian principale 8'...).
Anyone interested tell me so.

The other one is more difficult. The basic thing is to have these organs sampled on every stop they got and then we can make a .wav bank for use in any VPO program HW3, GO & jOrgan !

Dorsetmike

Panos, Hautboy corrupt spelling of hautbois should translate to English as Oboe, There is one in Steihr Mockers.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Panos, Hautboy corrupt spelling of hautbois should translate to English as Oboe, There is one in Steihr Mockers.

Thanks Mike ! I got some Hautbois 8' stop samples (except SM of course) .
OK, so the main work is to split the stopped diapasson in two (it will take me some time with viena editor...) and can reconstruct a VPO version of Russell Organ (witch btw I liked much !) for jORGAN v.310(latest) !

I'll go for a try....:cool:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues

And, of course, as we all studied French in high school "hautbois" is a corruption, literally translates as "high wood" (where high (haut) indicates perfection, not height)

Last edited:

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

I try to imagine an oboe as a high wood .......
Is by any chance because the Hautbois stop pipes were placed high on organs ? (!!!!)lol

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Mike, thanks for this wonderful thread ... I just got around to looking it through today and fully enjoyed the musical examples.

It's interesting the difference in voicing of English organs in comparison to what we are used to hearing here across the pond. Very different, but completely enjoyable, too.

Soubasse

I try to imagine an oboe as a high wood .......
Is by any chance because the Hautbois stop pipes were placed high on organs ? (!!!!)lol

:lol::lol: Good question! It would depend on where the Recit division was built since that's where most Hautbois ranks tend to reside.
Some Cornets were placed on a separate, higher windchest to the rest of the pipes (hence the term "mounted cornet" which sounds more like a guy on a horse eating an ice-cream). Haven't heard of a mounted Oboe though (pause and tries to think of some innuendo ... can't ... damn)

Re Ely - certainly loved the building for sure, but didn't get to play the organ there so of the two, I'm kind of biased to Durham! :grin:

Dorsetmike

Mike, thanks for this wonderful thread ... I just got around to looking it through today and fully enjoyed the musical examples.

It's interesting the difference in voicing of English organs in comparison to what we are used to hearing here across the pond. Very different, but completely enjoyable, too.

Lars, might it be that most of the organs played in this project are older, mainly "village church", instruments rather than more recent ones. IIRC the "newest" one is about 100 years old. Some have been rebuilt and extended but the project seems to be mainly about the sound of these organs when originally built.

Also I believe that some of the older works played they have attempted to use registrations that were available (or preferred) in those earlier days.

One thing that I noticed and am not sure about is a reference to "shifting"

The six concertos in this edition are keyboard arrangements of Stanley's concertos Op.2 for strings. Stop indications are not given but indications for the orchestral Tutti and Soli are. On this single-manual organ the changes are effected by using the shifting movement, which silences stops above 8 and 4 foot pitch by holding down a lever pedal. In this case some noise is occasioned by the operation of the mechanism.
At first I thought it was some means of "splitting" the keyboard so that different stops were played by right and left hand.

Dorsetmike

I started this thread as it seems the majority (but not all) of music links tend to concentrate on the larger, better known works usually being performed on larger, often well known, instruments.

I hope I'm bringing some different, (simpler?) repertoire to your ears as well as possibly some interesting instruments. Showing the other side of the coin so to speak.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

OK guys, I've done a disposition of the Russell 1806 organ in St.Clemens, Essex for jORGAN v.3.10(latest) !!:)

Following Mike's link about it I got all the info I wanted, listening also to some works played on this small organ.
Of course my example is not an original in VPO form, since I haven't got the real Russell pipe samples at hand, but I got some real English pipe samples from different English chamber organs and so I addapted accordingly.

Splitting the Stopped diapason 8' was not difficult anyway, just some work with my Viena editor.
As you can see (from the above link) also Cornet III and Sesquialtera III (basicly the same stop) are spitted in C3 , as Hautboy is starting from this note.
Quite right Russell costructed this way it's instrument, I believe, cause it's a one manual organ and with splitting keyboard allows the player to go for some more works to perform, like a quiet choral witch needs a cornet solo and a soft accompaniment : Principal 4' full keyboard and add Stopped 8' with Cornet III in split treble (above C3) keyboard. The problem with this organ is that it's pedal does not have any stops and works permanently coupled to kbd, so in the above paradigm the principal 4' is not appropriate for the bass part, was a 8' pedal stop needed at least.:(

I used real pipe samples except for the CornetIII/SesquialteraIII stops. these are synthesized. The reason is that I couldn't find real free samples.
I did my homework and found that a Cornet III is a Cornet V with the 8' and 4' stops ommited for economy, so the organist can build a Cornet V (8'+4'+2'2/3+2'+1'3/5) by adding these stops along with the III stop.
I also found that sesquialtera is a Cornet II(lacking the 2'). This organ has a Sesquialtera III bass (from C3 down) = bass cornet III stop.
So I built a full keyboard Cornet III first and then splited with my editor.:)

One can ask why not building the Cornet III with real 2'2/3,2' and tierce samples. Because I wanted a small memory disposition and in a fairly quick time. Otherwise I had to select some basic real sampled notes from each stop an build each one in the entire keyboard...a weeks work....:crazy:

I have the idea to add the two photos I found on Mike's link, the console and the whole organ, on the jOrgan virtual console. I'm learning how to edit an XML paper so I can later do it. I believe it will add life to the VPO...:)

So, to sum up, is anyone interested to play with my little Russell St.Clements VPO? I can e-mail the .rar file. It's about 4.63MB long. Of course one gotta have the latest jORGAN 3.10 version installed (easy and free download):rolleyes:

Cheers
Panos

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Samore info about Russel jOrgan dispo.
I didn't add generals or a pedal stop, and even the recorder, for being closer to the original.- it's easy to assign all the 9 stops to 9 pistons -
On second thought I could add the recorder and a Boyd voluntary in midi file....