Pensioners perks

Dorsetmike

From another thread, might be interesting to compare different countries provisions where there are any

Mike, what other perks do pensioners in the UK get???? my sister in law gets free overseas calls I suppose she is limited to so many/month?

Not heard about free overseas calls (I use Skype anyway)

I get

State pension;
free bus pass (nationwide except during morning peak travel)
free prescriptions - (national health service is not 100% free!)
free eye tests every 2 years (yearly if diabetic)
free TV licence when over age 75

I can apply to local council for "sheltered accomodation" usually 1 bedroom apartments in a secure block, some blocks with resident "manager" who is usually a qualified carer. Most blocks have a community lounge area, communal laundry facilities etc.

Many events offer reduced rates for "senior citizens", concerts, theatre, excursions, shows etc.

Probably other things available as well but not had to find any ........... yet

teddy

Duckmeister
B&Q (DIY store) give discounts on pensioner days. usually Wednesdays..

Alcoholics are entitled to an aditional £20.00 per week, £40.00 for a couple, retired or not.

Illegal immigrants aveage an extra £150.00 pw in benifits more than pensioners.

teddy the GOM

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
You bloody old bastards get way to much from the public purse ... I say you all need to be fed gruel and broth, made to walk everywhere (dodgy legs and all), pay for your health care (you're costing the rest of us a fortune and for not a lot of "good" for society, I mean you're all in god's waiting room, eh?).

And, while I'm on my soap box about mis-used public monies, remember this: it's your grandchildren that will wipe your arses when you end up in nursing homes on your last legs, so be nice to them, or they'll use sandpaper!!

Of course, all I say above is in jest. In Australia, pensioners live basically on the poverty line. This is very distressing AND if you happen to be a politician and survivie some absurdly small time in parliament as a voted representative, you end up with some ridiculously enormous pension. For example, our PM will end up with the equivalent of $2,000 a week on retirement, plus a secretary, plus an office. SPARE ME!!!!

I'm seriously considering spending some of my spare time visiting oldies with no family through Sydney City Mission's outreach program. I mean, I'd hate to be old and decrepit and left alone to ponder the autumn of my life ...

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
The US has Social Security ... for good or bad ... it's what we have at the present time, and the only "government" option for citizens here. People can collect this from age 62 and beyond. Full "retirement" age for the baby boomers like me is at age 66 ... for those born after 1954, its age 66 to age 70 depending on your birth year.

Medicare kicks in at age 65, but it really doesn't cover everything, so supplemental health insurance needs to be paid out of pocket.

A few other "Senior Citizen" (age 62 and up) perks:

• U.S. Forest Service Senior Pass - Free admission to all Federal parks and recreation sites. The card doesn't expire until I do :crazy:.
  • Most restaurants give 10% to 20% off meals.

teddy

Duckmeister
$2,000 a week pension? You want to see what that bugger Blair is costing this country while he tours America making himself millions. I would put him in a cell on bread and water, and give his money to all the relatives of the dead troops.

teddy

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
A few other "Senior Citizen" (age 62 and up) perks:

Forest Service Senior Pass - Free admission to all Federal parks and recreation sites.

Lars, buddy, Brilliant - so as you wander through Yellowstone National Park, wondering where the &^%#*& you left your car (in a dementia ridden moment) the friggin' bears will eat you ... great AND at no cost to the U.S. purse!!

teddy

Duckmeister
Lars, buddy, Brilliant - so as you wander through Yellowstone National Park, wondering where the &^%#*& you left your car (in a dementia ridden moment) the friggin' bears will eat you ... great AND at no cost to the U.S. purse!!

:D:cry:

I don't know whether to laugh, or cry with pity. We don't have bears here.

(apart from) teddy

Last edited by a moderator:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
No pity necessary ... nice to know that there is at least one teddy [bear] in the UK, though. :rolleyes:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
In Poland, retirement age for women is currently 60 and for men 65. Although, the government is working on making the age the same for everyone (65). People who continue working afterwards can count on a (slightly) higher pension. But then, it's not that easy to find a job when you're in your late 60s, is it?

The amount of money you get for your pension is ridiculously low in most cases and I really mean it. Unless you were rich before you retired and you secured your future. Or you were a politician or a soldier for example.

As for the perks, the public transportation is free after you retire (it's also free if you're a Honorary Blood Donor and you've donated 15 (women) or 25 (men) litres of blood but that's not the case here). Pensioners also get discounts for cinema, philharmonic and theatre tickets, air-line tickets and Radio-Television fee.

Of course we do have health insurance but our health care system leaves rather much to be desired, so you'd better not get sick unless you can afford to go to a private hospital!

But hey, maybe I won't live long enough to experience all these wonderful things! :rolleyes:

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Are you feeling grumpy Colin. If so give my regards to Snow White.

teddy
The last time I felt Grumpy he got all psised off, should we form a Snow White club, very exclusive and by invitation only and of course for members of this forum only??

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Good idea and then we can toast her health with her favorite drink. 7 UP

teddy

Now listen here Sleepy you better explain that, some vertically challenged men may get ideas :crazy: