Maroon 5

jason

A buddy of mine practically begged me to check out this band he really digs, Maroon 5. So I checked his iTunes playlist, had the patience to site through an entire live album, and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't even know what this genre is, but the guys sings in a very nasally voice, and it's actually pretty pleasing. He tells me I should also check out Howie Day if I like Maroon 5. I haven't had a chance just yet.

Just thought I would share.

I love discovering new music!

mhoarse

My friend, what you have discovered is 'pop rock'. This is when it starts getting dangerous - when a discerning music listener (as I'm assuming you are) gets a listen to radio-pop and says 'eh, it's not too bad..' That music is very carefully designed, it's got the hooks to draw you in, people can't help but like it, then they might go out and buy it, but after a few days of listening they start hating the band! I've learnt my lesson and now I know how to spot those hooks and change the station before it's too late!

If you like discovering new music I've got an endless list of artists that are far more interesting (and far less dangerous) than Maroon 5!

Christine Callisen

Commodore of happiness and laughter
Maroon 5 is a very famous Band in Denmark. And the number called "This Love" is the big hit everybody knows!
cheers444.gif

I haven´t heard the entire album, I really only know "this Love". But that´s a great song I think!!!
grin.gif

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
I must agree with Mhoarse. I got hooked on This love, but pretty soon I got tired of the song and the band, so I hated there second song She will be loved

Jette
grin.gif

Lotus80

Commodore of Water Music
It's funny, but This Love is one of the very few summerhits, that I haven't grown tired of when autumn comes around. I've actually discussed this earlier with a couple of friends, and we're equally baffled that we still don't feel the urge to throw us of the nearest balcony when they play it on the radio...
grin.gif

Never the less, I don't particularly care for She Will Be Loved. That is just plain annoying...
wink.gif

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
mhoarse -> Haha, thats a quite rough description of "pop rock", but you are, anyhow, making a point. The genre is carefully designed to the mainstream radio audience and Maroon 5 can definately be placed under this particular category...

I remember Maroon 5. I thought their first single, This Love, was a bit too mainstream - the concept of the track and the lyrics did'nt contain anything new and original. I actually found some of their successive singles much more appealing, but I won't say that I am a fan!
wink.gif

My guess is that we will never hear about this group again. Well, maybe they will release another album, but the audience and the radio stations are probably already setting up unreachable expectations! The classic history of a "pop rock" band
smile.gif
15 minutes of fame over and over again.......

AnnaBanana

They were quite big over here for a bit, I quite liked them, but they seem to have dissappeared now.
Anna
banana.gif
banana.gif

amira

I kinda dig Maroon 5 too, I also love their song This Love. The vid was pretty great too. hehe

fourtone87

During the 90's Maroon 5 existed under a different name. DOes anyone recal the name of the band?

Typically if a band just comes out of nowhere, I can almost instantly write them off as something I won't like. Mainly just because I know they are being played on the radio just because their labels are paying for their instant success.

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
During the 90's Maroon 5 existed under a different name. DOes anyone recal the name of the band?

The name of the band was Kara´s Flowers (James Valentine was the only one from Maroon 5, that wasn´t in it)

Jette
grin.gif

fourtone87

AH!
Thanks for the name! I've been trying to think of it for months.

I knew it had something to do with flowers;)
Does anyone agree that Kara's Flowers was much better then present day Maroon 5?