• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Visioning

Logan30

I’m starting this post here as most of us ‘organists’ have church gigs as well. If I have the wrong area - let me know.
I have been trying to do some visioning about what my job as a Director of Music at a main-line Christian denomination church will look like in 10 years (provided I stick with this career path). Now, I do work for a very liberal, modern and ‘cutting edge’ (so we think so) denomination. We are building a new church right now and yes the pipe organ has been put into storage for re-installation at a later date and yes we still have choirs but things are “a-changin”! I have already experimented with pipe organ and heavy-metal rock guitar – went well. I will be exploring world percussion and pipe organ this fall with a professional percussionist (local opera company orchestra) who is a member of my congregation. Our plan is to incorporate members of the congregation who might like to play and blend this all into our main Sunday service music. I’m not sure where the choirs are going as the only growth I have experienced last year is with the kid’s choir that is directed by a wonderful, retired music teacher/singer in the congregation and my Taize choir (we sing much more than Taize – Palestrina, Russian Orthadox music, contemporary classical).
I’m trying to see my position as a ministry much more than a guy who programs the music I like. I live in a large city where there are few ‘traditional’ music programs left and very few viable programs at the smaller churches. The large programs are all located in the very affluent areas of the city that can afford paid choir leads and guest orchestras. I attend their events but I don’t see myself ever working in those churches. I’m a little bit to much of a gen-x-er to conform. I would rather invent.
What are you inventing or dreaming about. What do you see in the crystal ball for church music, the pipe organ, your job? L.