Death of Windows

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
who cares? I don't.

FU Jack I'm OK eh ;)
Just a timely nudge to the few still running Widows and there are quite a few (I still run Windows on my Lap top) if you have a crash and do not have a full back up CD you will have problems.

JHC

Bill, I think you are right but a full back up CD would be prudent for users.

Sorry David but I would have to kill you if I told, suffice it to say it is a very exclusive club and membership is by invitation only. sorry.

I hope they won't have to kill you for revealing to us that you are a member.:)

Lovemore Nanjaya.:guitar:

dll927

This whole software business is a constant effort to revise and come up with something just slightly new, that keeps the bottom line flowing. Microsoft was on federal trial a few years ago, but they got off the hook. You know what they say about money and justice.

As an amateur photographer, I have Adobe Elements. So far I have bought three versions of it. Every time I buy one, it isn't long before a "new" version comes along -- they are currently on version #8, or were last I heard. Even the photo magazines said the #8 was very little different from #7, so don't bother.

And of course, nearly all of the software programs for computers have a "subscription" system, and you have to "renew" it every year. They don't leave anyone in the dark about what they they are out for --- $$$.

Dorsetmike

I manage to get along mstly on free appications, Open Office instead of Microsloth; for photographic work The GIMP and Picasa do most things, Audacity for audio editing, surprising what you can find if you search around, being on a pension sure is an incentive to look out the freeware.

teddy

Duckmeister
Collin thanks for the link. I still use XPPro, mainly because I have it networked at the office. Just got my youngest daughter a new laptop with Seven installed and will be interested to try it out. I agree there is a lot of freeware out there if you look around. i use several programs myself. Biggest problem I find is companies rushing software out before it works properly (Vista?) and then havining to reissue or patch.

teddy

JHC

I use Vista and had a few problems same as with the present IE, I hope the new version of IE works better. The thing I hate is when a program tries to become the preferred program when this happens I just un-install but it is a pain.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
XP has been good to me over the past 7 years ... and I have kept up with all the updates, so I am at SP3 as well. When the fun ride ends, I will then update to Windows 7 or its successors.

teddy

Duckmeister
Colin,

No need to uninstall. Just make sure you have default set up on your choosen search engine. When you are installing new programmes they often have a box pre-ticked (i.e. Set Yahoo as my searcg engine. ) Just make sure you have unticked the box before proceeding. I have used firefox and found it very good. I have to use IE as one of the major programmes will only work with it, but I have had no trouble with the latest version.

teddy

JONESEY

I use XP at work, in fact I fought against any Vista upgrades - it's still possible to buy a machine with XP on it from Dell!!.

However, at home I use a Mac ... if I could get one for work I'd throw the laptop running XP in the bin straight away!