Earthquake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Attention everybody!!!

A major earthquake of 7.4 on the Richter scale has struck an area 4 miles southeast of Christchurch, New Zealand. Let's keep the Kiwis and especially our forum brother Colin in our hearts and minds and trust that no-one has lost their lives because of the quake.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
By Jeepers, what the .............. HELP :nut: :ut:

Latest reports are, no fatalities some minor injuries, loss of power and a suspected overnight temp of -2deg C so a cold night for some, loss of water and sewerage pipes burst so obvious health hazards, approx 21 after shakes and the fear is that another big one could follow, damaged roads and rail so travel limited to essential use only. Building damage but as a large majority of houses are timber clad and all dwellings are wood framed [building code requirements for NZ as we are Earth Quake prone]
In Christchurch the buildings are brick clad so this falls off.

Another bit of bad news “Nine people killed in an air crash on one of the glassiers “

Last edited:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Look, the Kiwis survived that horror Jenny Shipley as their PM, a level 7 earthquake is a mere ripple on their collective souls.

JHC

It doesn't take long for the scum to start looting, they should be shot on sight they were only after booze they are too lazy to work and pay for it

teddy

Duckmeister
We do not seem to have much coverage of this in the South of England. It is good to be kept up to date. News is always welcome.

teddy

marval

That was quite an earthquake, good to hear that nobody was hurt. Glad to Know our Colin is alright. Very sad to hear about the air crash though, my thoughts are with their families at this sad time.

Margaret

JHC

Margaret thanks for your concern.There is a heck of a lot of structural damage.

This Earthquake has thrown up a few interesting problems the one that interests me is as follows:
In 1984 NZ was dragged into the “Market knows best” ideology including [user pays] I won’t bore you with the history, but it now appears that quite a few of the private houses that have been damaged or destroyed are not insured for various reasons so what happens, do these people now become homeless and live on the street or do they have a new house provided by the Government aka tax payer, and if the latter what sort of message does that send to the rest of us?
What are your thoughts ?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Niu Zilin' is hardly big enough to afford a BBQ lunch for the country-women's-association-once-in-ten-year-get-to-gether let alone free housing to zillions without home insurance...it's a hard world.

JHC

From what I have just heard there are [at the moment] approx 480 uninsured houses, you have to ask why would someone have an asset worth say NZ$ 250,000 to 500,000 and not have it insured, and whatever the reason why should I have to fork out.

teddy

Duckmeister
England has advocated free housing for everyone, entitled or not and even those who hate and wish to destroy us. This has led to all sorts of social and financial problems. the other problem we have is that no one is accountable for their actions. It is always some one elses fault or problem. We are all accountable for our own destiny. Message - insure your b....y house idiot or go and reside in a cave.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
The large tremor which hit Folkestone in Kent a couple of years ago was a Godsend for some people. I know of several cases where the insurance paid up and the properties ended up in better condition after the repairs than they were in before. Obviously it was nowhere near the scale of the one in NZ.

teddy

marval

You would think people who have their own houses would have been insured. It is a difficult one, do they expect the government/people to stump up the cash? I would not want to see them homeless, but at the same time I might not appreciate having to pay for new homes.

As Mike says maybe some insurance companies exclude earthquakes.

Margaret

JHC

The mind boggles at the stupidity of the Politicians, I suppose we should be used to it by now but I continually get amazed. At one time as a joke one of our new politicians said [Free cars for all Maori] well did the sh*t hit the fan and it lasted for about six weeks.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Back in Yankeeland when sh*t hit the fan the sound that was heard is "Marine............." :grin::grin::grin: