Satellite Radio

Kaabi

Does anybody have Satellite Radio? I don't use it, and I don't know anyone who does, but I've seen commercials for it. AM, FM, now XM. Howard Stern is now on XM because he couldn't be on FM anymore, and so are some other edgy people.

I think I might get it, it's pretty cool, but it's so expensive. I could get cable instead. So do you think XM is worth it? Maybe I should just try it, and if I don't like it, I can always unsubscribe.

jason

Stern is still on FM radio, he's just being removed by a number of the stations that are facing fines from the FCC. It's not like the FCC "banned" him from FM frequencies.

A friend of mine has XM, and uses it purely to listen to sports talk radio. I don't think he listens to much music. He only got it because of his long commute and frustration having to change stations during his commute. His praises it though. I personally would not be willing to dish out $10-$15 (or whatever it costs) per month for it though.

fourtone87

I'm pretty sure Stern is on Sirius Radio actually.

I have XM right now while lots of my friends have Sirius. XM I think has much more rock stations and Sirius is directed towards the hip-hop fans.

fourtone87

I personally love XM Radio.
The Punk,Ska,and something else
wink.gif
(Can't remember) station is great. Fungus 35 I believe? I think they play 24 hours of The Ramones every Sunday.

The other rock stations are pretty good too.

Another fun stations to listen to are the Comedy Station and the unsigned artists stations.

ApeXX

Banned
Stern is still on FM radio, he's just being removed by a number of the stations that are facing fines from the FCC. It's not like the FCC "banned" him from FM frequencies.

A friend of mine has XM, and uses it purely to listen to sports talk radio. I don't think he listens to much music. He only got it because of his long commute and frustration having to change stations during his commute. His praises it though. I personally would not be willing to dish out $10-$15 (or whatever it costs) per month for it though.

I believe I read somewhere that you can pay a $300 ballpark fee and have unlimited access for the rest of your life. My cousin currently has one in his GMC, and during the small amount of time I have been in his truck, I have really enjoyed it. No commercials what-so-ever, and the sound quality (maybe it was his speakers?) is much greater than that of conventional FM radio. I am a student so I really only work part-time, and since I spend little time in my car, it wouldn't be cost efficient for me to pay $15 a month for a radio I would use seldom.

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
It sounds interesting with this XM-radio technology. Alas it hasn't "arrived" here in Denmark (or Europe?) yet.

The latest innovation in radiotechnology we have here is DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) and it's only being introduced at the moment, so I won't guess on how long we'll have to wait for something like this XM stuff.

Anyone in Europe (or outside of the US) who knows anything about this?

ApeXX

Banned
It sounds interesting with this XM-radio technology. Alas it hasn't "arrived" here in Denmark (or Europe?) yet.

The latest innovation in radiotechnology we have here is DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) and it's only being introduced at the moment, so I won't guess on how long we'll have to wait for something like this XM stuff.

Anyone in Europe (or outside of the US) who knows anything about this?

I am assuming that it will be put in use outside of the US, although I do not know for sure. What exactly is this Digital Audio Broadcasting? It sounds like a higher quality radio frequency? Also I would have to assume whatever organization that moniters satellite usage would have to approve of it first.