Pavel Chesnokov

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Please let me add lust a little info about a very famous composer and choral conductor in Russia: Pavel Chesnokov who was for many years the chief conductor and composer-in-residence at Christ the Saviour Cathedral (my home Parish) has written somewhat over 500 works for choir, 400 of which are meant to be performed during liturgy or other occasions, whilst 100 are of a more secular nature.

By the age of thirty he had written about 333 pieces for choir. His music is in many ways specifically "calculated and written" with the enormous acoustic space of the Cathedral in mind. Of course, they can very well be performed in other venues too. He has also written a book entitled "The Choir, and how to direct it". There is a most excellent translation done by Vladimir Morosan and published by Musica Russica in San Diego, which is wholly owned and operated by Mr. Morosan. If you are a lover or practitioner of Choral Music, please do try to get hold of a copy - it is most enlightening.

Back to Grechaninov: Sadly, he stopped composing when the godless Bolsheviks demolished the Cathedral. The man was heart-broken because of what had happened. Thankfully, Russians from all over sent funds, and with gifts from the Moscow City Government the Cathedral was rebuilt and now its quite an establishment. There is a huge Concert Hall underneath the Cathedral and another huge Sanctuary to boot.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Last edited by a moderator:

wljmrbill

Very interesting reading. Do you have any clips of his music? I am not that familiar with Russian composers except the usual ones we all know. Thanks for posting.

Corno Dolce

Correction

I have inadvertently given the wrong last name - The last name should read "Chesnokov" - Not Grechaninov. There is however a composer named Aleksandr Grechaninov but his music is totally different. I shall send some clips later.

Sorry for the confusion...:cry::cry::cry:

Grechaninov's (S Nami Bog) God Among Us: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BANVNoL1p8Q&feature=related

Also: Let My Prayer Arise: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvafbx0dcu4&feature=related

Also: Blessed is the Man: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlimNWGT9tI&feature=more_related

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I have inadvertently given the wrong last name - The last name should read "Chesnokov" - Not Grechaninov . . .
Sorry for the confusion...:cry::cry::cry:

Admin note: as requested by Corno Dolce, we've edited the last name in the posting as well as the thread title. All's good once again. :)

wljmrbill

Thanks very much for the clips. I really enjoyed them. I have always admired the accapella work done by the Russian Church in the Liturgical services.

Corno Dolce

Another masterpiece by Chesnokov:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdKsjCRWUws

Well, since I am at the "epicenter" of the Russian Orthodox Church, Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow, it would be easy for me to share, provided there youtube clips, the different repertoire that Russian composers have bequeathed the Church. The Choral Library at the Cathedral is VERY vast, so there is much to pick and choose from.

A picture from the Choir Gallery: http://02varvara.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/moscow-10-spirit-day-csc-e1274762111369.jpg?w=600&h=918

Another picture: www.parallelsixty.com/images/Christ the savior from helicopter.jpg

Last edited:

Soubasse

Wow, that's one lavish looking abode there CD. A concert hall under the cathedral?? (more wow).
So, a vast choral library featuring contributions from numerous Russian composers, for which the people running things there obviously have some respect? ... how I envy you right now!
And the organ there is ...?

Corno Dolce

Hi Br. Soubasse,

No organ is allowed in Russian Orthodox Church Liturgical services. However, the Greek Orthodox Church does make room for a "quiet accompanimental instrument". Yes, the Moscow Patriarchate is very keen on preserving the sacred music heritage of Russia - And they have plenty of high-caliber people who spend countless hours on cataloging, researching, and caring for the collections - And they have lots of people all over Russia who "scour" the countryside in search of any treasures.

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat: