tiosd (translation: why can't I delete a post?)

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
========== why can't I delete this post?? edit only allows edit and not delete? has someone switched off the delete option?

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Colin,

In order to delete a post, you need to click on "Go Advanced" to see that tool. Bear in mind too, that there is a time limit (thinking it's like 12 hours) before editing/deletion is no longer an option. Moved this thread to the Site Feedback area as it may be of interest to other members, too.

JHC

I tried going advanced but nothing changed? I tried several times within an hour and as you can see the original post was only 2 or so hours ago so well within the time limit. I have deleted other posts before with no problems, by way of explanation I was trying out a link.
I have tried again (the first post) but the delete button is still missing, when I try from this post the button is present??

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Most strange ... I checked the forum settings for Area 51 and found no errors. Specifically, the 'delete' option is enabled for Area 51.

I'll have to check this out farther ... stay tuned.

[Edit: update]

Using a test login, I was able to replicate the problem ... I'll report it to Frederik. It's not really a high priority item as any Sr. Staff member can delete it easily, so it may be down the line before it gets fixed. Thanks for telling us about it though. :)

Last edited:

JHC

I have just tried again, its only my first post that does not show (delete) all others do show it, please don't go to any trouble Lars

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I suppose it's because the forum doesn't allow regular members to delete whole threads. I've experienced this problem, too. I can easily delete a post, but not if it's a first post in thread I've just created. But then, what do I know...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Mat,

You're absolutely correct ... when users create a new thread, that first posting cannot be deleted, as it would technically be deleting a thread, which can only be done by forum staff.

You should be a forum Regulator :) Great answer ... and thanks!!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Lars, no probs. Glad I could help.

And be careful, someday I might take you up on your offer :D

JHC

perhaps a thread could be made available for members to experiment with?? and Mat it was your solution to my problem that I was fiddling around with, and it worked lol