Sepultura and alike bands...

jason

I spent 6 hours in the car today for a business trip, and brought along a bunch of old CDs to listen to and realized how much I liked Sepultura's older tribal sounding stuff, like on the Chaos A.D. album. I've had it since day one, but I've changed a lot since '93 and have been listening to a lot of differnt things since. I love the Brazilian metal stuff, so much I think I might even dig the more true tribal music (if it exists). I wonder if other than Sepultura (and Soulfly), I can find a similar sound, or if anyone here knows about any hardcore South American tribal stuff.

pjoltergeist

even tough they are not brasilian , i think the first hatebreed cd's sound alot like sepultura....worth checking out

Stalwart

What about Ektomorf? They are from Hungary, not from Brazil, but they really sound like Soulfly. When I've listened to them first time on the radio, I was sure that Soulfly were playing:)

Ronin

I havent heard much of Sepultura.
I do like their music from what I've heard, but is the older stuff more growling or does he actually sing?

doctortornface

I don't think the South American influence on Sepultura can be any more obvious than on Roots.I think the whole point of the album was to show the influence of tribalism on their metal.Some love it, to others it just sucks.I think it is an interesting experiment.

doctortornface

Much as i love Sepultura,and I have them gigging in Scotland this week. The new album Dante XXI is as good as Thrash gets.chaos a.d. etc are very good but again the new one def stands on its own. BUT THE FIRST CD, Morbid Visions,although interesting as a starting point,is very rough both musically and in production,Dante XXI leaves it behind by a mile.I like the new sound it has returned to their roots but with a modern more sophisticated touch.And I don't miss Max at all.Derrick Green is doing an enormous job on vox.