New Member, Colin

Colin

Hi Everyone.
My choice of a musical instrument is the pipe organ. Videoing church services is my hobby. After burning to disk, the videos are made available to the sick and shut-ins. So my computer works overtime. Unfortunately, it doesn't always like being told what to do by an 86-year-old!
icon7.gif

teddy

Duckmeister
Hello Colin and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you do good work. My computer is also a female????? You will find many likeminded people here

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:wave: Welcome to this forum, Colin.

I think your ministry to others is such a wonderful gift ... I'm sure all those people appreciate your effort very much.

We know that you will enjoy your time here .. looking forward to your continued participation in the many discussions here.

Btw, I'm the one who moved your 'introductory' thread to this location where it will receive greater response :)

wljmrbill

WELCOME Collin.. What a great thing to do for the shut-ins.. I know what it means as I watch my Church service from Wasington National Cathedral by live web cast each Sunday or on demand is I miss it.... and it makes a difference in your life.. Enjoy your time here. God Be With You in Your Work....

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Colin you do very well for an old f!$% welcome, regards Colin

marval

Hello Colin

Welcome to the forum. Good for you videoing the church services for other people, it will be great for those who can not get to church.

Margaret

Alban Berg

Banned
are you...

Hi Everyone.
My choice of a musical instrument is the pipe organ. Videoing church services is my hobby. After burning to disk, the videos are made available to the sick and shut-ins. So my computer works overtime. Unfortunately, it doesn't always like being told what to do by an 86-year-old!
icon7.gif

Are you 86 years old? Is that the reason you toldme I was young wnhen I said I was 59?

Martin, curious.
P.S. My father in law is your age.

Diode

New Member Diode

Hi everyone,

I have been interested in the music of the pipe organ since my teens - particularly that of the French romantics like Cesar Franck.

About 40 years ago I built a 2 manual electronic organ with a 30 note pedalboard and about 40 stops, but I was never happy with the sound it produced as it was a very poor imitation of the real thing. Consequently I literally gave it away after taking only a few formal lessons and settled for listening to recordings instead.

After trialling the Grandorgue software and some free sample sets I have now regained my former enthusiasm to own and to learn to play a VPO. I have since completed a rudimentary console to approximately AGO specs using 2 stacked midi synths for the manuals, a newly-homebuild 30 note radiating/concave pedalboard, 2 swell pedals, and a touch monitor. I recall that the original 'organ' took about 18 months to complete while the latest VPO version took only a matter of weeks. (Back then there was no internet so there were very limited resources available, and from memory there were over 300 wires to run from each manual to the sound generation hardware, and separate hardware filters were needed for each stop!)

I know that I face an uphill battle to learn to play the organ 'properly' at age 66, and I certainly don't aspire to doing any public performances beyond immediate family and friends, but I have gained considerable satisfaction from my efforts so far - due in no small part to the great sound that a computer-based VPO can produce.

Regards,

Diode

teddy

Duckmeister
Hello diode and welcome th the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your time here as much as I do

teddy