Mozart and the Surprize...

Hawk Henries

Some of you may know of my obsession with baroque music. I recently aquired a baroque flute which was made around 1832. It's in great shape with recent reconditioning.
Well I don't have a clue with regards to playing this type of flute even though I build flutes so I decided to find a teacher.

I happen to live in an area that is teeming with classical music stuff. Pierre Monteaux School for Conductors is literally around the corner and Kneisel Hall is down the road. http://kneisel.org/
There are many world class musicians who either live here year round or at least part of the year. this is all new to me. Prior to my interest (2007) I had no clue how rich this area was.

Well I found a woman who consented to teach me classical flute as well as how to read music. She also said that she knows a few baroque flutists and will make introductions once they return to Maine.

My first lesson, which lasted more than two hours was great! Embochure, slurring, navigating around the flute and some basic reading was done. She said that our time was really several months worth of lessons BUT the highlight and most exciting part was....

she taught me a song written by W A Mozart!!!! Imagine my surprise when she took out sheet music and said that I would learn this song by the finish of our time!!! Of course I thought she was kidding.
The song is called Ah! Vous dirai-je, maman.

Prior to leaving home for the lesson I said to my wife " I hope she will teach me a song but I don't want to play Mary had a little lamb or anything like that" ! When I took a look at the sheet music with title I realized that this woman could see how gifted and talented I am. I mean come on my first lesson and already she is teaching me Mozart.

Then wham! like a club to the head of my ego she began to play. My ears could not believe what they heard :eek:

I laughed and said to her " You're kidding right?" Well she wasn't kidding :rolleyes:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star written by Mozart????????!!!!!!!! :p:crazy::confused:
Oh well I bet next time I'll learn that Bach wrote Mary Had a Little Lamb...

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I assume it’s a one key Flute ? Harder to play than a Boehme flute, and at least 1-2 hrs a day practice, best of luck a long and twisty road awaits you

Hawk Henries

Yes Colin it is a one keyed flute. Funny I would have thought it easier because there are less moving parts. I guess there will be much more crossfingering techniques and embochure stuff to do.
I am borrowing one of her Boehme flutes to practice with. It's an open hole flute - really kind of nice but oh so many gadgets and flappers and flippers to figure out :)

Steve - I like that piece by Bach. I usually here it played with Jesu Joy of Man's Desire.

You know I guess I should have put this thread in one of the music forums but I thought to share it with my friends here in the Club :)

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Hawk, All the keys make it easier, eg B flat key, but all in good time, as I told you on another post with the baroque flute you will be able to play in just temperament which is what gives baroque music its unique sound as apposed to equal temperament but I am going too fast, enjoy your journey

dll927

Off-hand, I can't remember which piece, but yes, WAM did write a tune we call "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". I don't know if it was original with him or not, but it's there.

BTW, I always thought a "baroque flute" was called a recorder.

marval

Hi Hawk

I think you have started on a new baroque journey. Well done for finding a good teacher and learning the basics.

I love "Sheep May Safely Graze."

Here is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" Mozart,K.265"Ah,vous dirai-je,Maman"

I found out what it was some years ago, when I had a tape of Mozart's music and it played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH2zlb1pwds

Good luck with your endevours, perhaps one day we will hear you play.

Margaret

Hawk Henries

Off-hand, I can't remember which piece, but yes, WAM did write a tune we call "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". I don't know if it was original with him or not, but it's there.

BTW, I always thought a "baroque flute" was called a recorder.

Hi,

In the post above this Margaret put a link to the W A Mozart version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (Thanks Margaret).

Mozart adapted it from an old French folk song....

I think baroque flutes were also called traverso but I think you're right about recorder~in many things I've read about baroque flute it (the label) is often interchanged with recorder....